White stuff on Ram fins...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dwarfnut

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
The last several batches of Blue and also the Gold rams that several of my LFSs have gotten in have some white cottony stuff on their fins. Several of these fish that I have bought some these guys, although clean when I bought them, have developed this later. Now before everyone jumps on the 'it's a fungus' band-wagon, let me elaborate. First, the LFSs have been puzzled about this as well and have tried every anti-fungal treatment known to them without much success. Anything from salt water dips to every medication on the shelf! It truly does look like a fungus, and I'm certainly not saying that is nt some type of fungus, it just doesn't act like a fungus. It is a slow growing thing that starts out in very small spots and gradually gets bigger, but I've not seen a spot yet get bigger than approx twice the size of a pin head. Given enough time, it seems to actually go away, but very slowly... like over several months! It does not seem to hurt the fish and only gets on the fins, but will sometimes slow down a fish if too many spots get on the fins at one time. Also, this is a re-occuring type thing as the Rams that I've had for over 6 months seem to be having another outbreak after about 4 months of being spot-free! I'm sure moving them stressed them out a little, so maybe that caused their defenses to drop. Anyway, I'd sure like to get this taken care of before it turns into a full-blown epidemic! Also, it doesn't seem to effect or get on any other fish in the tank... only Rams and now it looks like one of the Bolivians might be getting it!

Thanks,
Bill C.

Amber

AC Members
Jan 2, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Have you tried Ich Away? So some other Ich treatment? Make sure you remove your carbon filter when treating. I'm sure you know this and have tried it, but I thought I'd reply just in case!! I hope all works well for you!

Barbie

Fishaholic
You might look up lymphocysts. Rams seem prone to it, and while it doesn't exactly look like fungus IMO, it certainly behaves like your description of the rest of the symptoms. Its believed to be viral in nature, and doesn't really harm the fish, just looks nasty for a bit, much like warts on young horses.

Hope that helps.

Barbie

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Columnaris can create the white fuzzy look. It's a bacteria but some fungicides also have meds that are supposed to kill columnaris. Has anyone tried looking at the fuzz under a microscope?

Dwarfnut

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
Visit site
Well, after checking on leads given by the others... Barbie wins the prize! Even verified today by another fish person locally who is VERY knowledgable! Says it isn't fatal usually and clears up on it's own. Since it's a viral thing, meds don't seem to do any good. Doh! now you tell me! After about $40 worth of meds used up!

Thought you guys might want to know...

Bill C.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store