Sump without drilling....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
I have seen several plans for building sump systems for use with tanks. All the tanks I see that have sumps seem to have drilled holes in the bottom for them.

Are there any sump systems or methods for implimenting a sump system on an existing tank without drilling holes in the bottom or sides?

Maybe I just don't understand enough about sumps yet. But it seems that you'd have to drill holes and set up some way to do the proper overflow into the sump system.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I think most of those views are me continually coming back here after trying to log back in, and re-register, etc. :mad:

Slip had a great and long thread on this back on the otherside. Fortunately, I bookmarked it for future reference. It has info on setting up an overflow box with a suction overflow to avoid drilling, along with a bunch of other sumpology.

One of these days I'm going to try this. That day has not reached me yet.

Good luck,
-c

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
I use a overflow box:(and dont like it want to drill them.
Slip says to drill it your self get used bits on e-bay.
Heck I'll split the cost with you you use first:)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Before spending money on the bit you want to make sure the bottom of your tank is not tempered. You can not drill tempered glass--trying to do so will result in a shattered mess.

If the bottom of the tank is tempered, you can try drilling the hole on the sides, but this weakens the glass significantly. It will work, you just don't want a huge hole.

SoulkeepeR

Social Lurker
Mar 15, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
thanks for bookmarking it man, to this day my tank is still crystal clear and the sump works GREAT, my africans love it becuase it keeps the PH VERY stable and the other media keeps the biologial filtration very high.

thanks agian slip, I need to get a cam and show you guys how it turned out.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
i think thats the longest thread weve ever had in DIY..

too bad its going to disappear soon :(

karfixer

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
So. Cal
Visit site
Thanks for linking to that thread, carpguy. I've saved it on my HD for future reference. I think I know how to filter the big tank that is in the planning stages right now. Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store