Angel fight

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

longhorn

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Bay area
Visit site
I have three large angels (2 female and one male all about 3-4") in my 55g tank along with some other fishes, like silver dollar, neon tetra, glow-lights, skirts, and couple of cats. They have been living together for quiet a while and nobody seems to bother others.

However, I add a small angel (quarter sized) in the tank last night. All three large angels start to pick on the little guy, and dirve him running around in the tank. The small angel is still too small so I don't think the large guys doing this for sexual reasons.

Anyone knows why they are doing this to the new comers? Is this a ritual thing or what?

Thanks!

FZ
:confused:

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Angels are cichlids, and cichlids tend to be rather aggressive and territorial. I would get the little guy out of there or he likely will be killed.

HTH,
Jim

longhorn

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Bay area
Visit site
My tank is pretty big and there are a lot of space for the fishes to swimming around. Plus, the large ones should be aggressive to other fishes, especially the tetra, as well, right? But it seems they are only angry to the little newcomer angel.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Aggression is normally focused on members of the same species: "intraspecific aggression." Spawning territrorial fish will chase away an intruder. This is a defensive reaction. It appears like aggression in aquaria, because the intruder doesn't go away. (He can't!)

The bigger Angels dominate the smaller one. In a natural setting, a cluster of Angels would all be pretty much of a size. Smaller ones get chased off to form a school with their own size.

JH

AC Members
Sep 11, 1998
I agree, I would get the new angel out of there. The larger angels will most likely end up killing the new angel. At least that is what happened with me. As far as the angels not picking on the smaller neons, tetras, etc., mine never have either.

Angels can become very territorial. If they are breeding age or even close this is most likely the case.

I hope this helps.

longhorn

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Bay area
Visit site
The reason I put this little guy in the large tank is because I bought 3 little angels, all have similar size, last week and put them in a smaller 10 gallon tank with a cat. This guy start picking on the other little angel to a point that I have to move him out. Now he is become a victim himself.

If the small guys will form a school of their own, is it a good idea to introduce the other two small angels to the large tank so I will have 3 large angels and 3 small ones?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
probably not..then you'll have 3 little angels getting smacked around by the bigger ones instead of just the one.

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
I haven't had problems keeping angels as young as 10 weeks (less than dime sized including fins) in with my adults (110g), just make sure you offer plenty of dense plants and nooks-n-crannies to give them a place to relax. Java Moss fluffed up and stretched out is a big plus.

Some angels can be quite aggressive, but if you have enough going on a large tank, it shouldn't be a longterm problem. Often I find after a few months of growth in a tank with adults, when they fry get to about 50c sized, they can and sometimes will bully the adults as much as they can, sometimes even dominating the tank.

However, if you do find that the aggression torwards the juviniles is too much, do remove them and place them in a home where they can grow a bit more in peace.

Use your best judgement.

Regards,
Raithan O. Ellis

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
I have a friend who has kept angels and he eventually learned that he had one mated pair, and any attempt to add others to the tank resulted in them defending thier area and inevitably the others being driven into a tiny corner of the tank or killed.

I agree with the "defending ones territory" assessment of earlier.

longhorn

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Bay area
Visit site
The large angels decided to make peace with the little guy after about a day. Now they live in harmony. I added another small angel in the tank last night. All the large angels seem to be pretty acceptive to the latest addition.

By the way, the reason I am adding the latest guy to my large tank is that he started to beat the hell out of his only other tank mate -- another small angel of the same size. They were both victims when I had a third angel in the same tank. Really don't know why? Do they always have to fight for dominance even there are two fishes?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store