Flounder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
I have noticed the "Fresh Water Flounder" on a fish website for sale... I am very interested, but am wary to as if it may grow over 1 foot long, or in case it was brackish, since it is normally marine. Is it brackish? Making sure!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
There is a true FW flounder from the Amazon basin. It is rarely imported and tends to be quite expensive when it is imported (never makes it to a store, always direct sales) - the cheapest I've seen was about $80.00 each.

"FW" flounders sold in LFS, like "FW" crabs sold in the same store are brackish. As w/many BW fish they need increasing salinity as they grow, very fine sand substrates, and a worm-based diet. Interesting fish, but not often visible other than as eyes protruding from the sand. They should make >6" in a year, could probably beat that with larger tanks.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I wouldn't keep anything that lays around, with a puffer though.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Actually, I would not keep them with anything, species only. If they can kill it and eat it (i.e., much smaller than they are) then they will. If they can't eat it and it swims slowly over them, they will nip anything available.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
I have 4 "FW" flounder. I have them in a six gallon tank in SW. They grow slow but are happy and very healthy. I have been feed them frozen but every once in a while I throw some guppies in and they disappear except one I have had this one guppy for about 4 months now. Doing well in SW.
It has had three litters of about 6 babies each time. She mates with one of the small males before they get eaten.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store