Silicone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I bought some GE Silicone II 100% Silicone Clear Sealant. It doesn't specifically say it's aquarium safe, but I'm almost positive I've seen this silicone listed here or somewhere as aquarium safe.

I'm using it to attach some cheapie plastic plants to small rocks to keep them from uprooting everytime I clean the darn tank!

Will the "fumey" smell go away once the silicone is fully cured/dried? It's only been around 10 hours so far, but the smell is still rather strong although the silicone appears to be dried. I'm going to wait the full recommended 24 hours just to be safe, but wondered if the smell disappearing might be an indication that it's ready.

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
yes it is aquarium safe.

the smell will go away as soon as the outer layer hardens. the inside is most likely still wet and will take the full 24 hours to harder also.

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Thanks slip. I was hoping it would go away, not sure I could put something that smelled like that into my aquarium hehe

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
If I recollect, GE offers several 100% silicone options... The one you want is Window and Door, but I can't recall if it's #I or #II, all I remember is that one of them states on the tube, 'not for aquarium use', or something to that extent. Do make certain it's the Window and Door, not the Bathroom & Tile or any others... they contain mildew/mold inhibitors that will be dreadful in a tank.

GE makes a silicone with a higher bonding strength to glass under extended wet enviroments, designed specifically for aquarium use. If you call them up or e-mail them, and tell them what your doing, they will send you the best option(s) for your project. Their aquarium specific silicone wasn't really much more expensive than the Window and Door stuff, was about $3.20 a tube.

However, I've had success with the standard DAP and GE options as well.

Cheers and Good Luck,
Raithan O. Ellis

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
The kind I got does say Window and Door. I should have went to a hardware store that had a wider selection, but I was already at Wal-Mart when I decided to pick some up. Next round I'll be sure to shop better for special aquarium silicone so I won't worry as much :)

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
That stuff works great, but smells like vinegar.... I let mine dry for 4 days, before putting water into it. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store