"Columbian Sharks" and general bottomfeeder questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pirate_X

Love those rams!
Nov 21, 2004
London, Ontario
Hey all!

I've spent the last couple days just reading over some of the information contained in these forums - what a knowledgebase this is! I am painfully impressed!

That being said, I decided it was time for me to register and make my first post!

I've had aquariums on and off for the last 12 years or so, but I was never the one responsible for taking care of them.... I had a 25gal for almost the last year, and just upgraded recently to a new 55gal. All the fish made the transition to the new tank flawlessly, with the exception of one poor blue ram.

Be warned: I have a billion and a half questions to ask... I'm going to try to limit this post to "bottom feeder" questions.

So far in my tank I have:

1 African Butterfly
4 Giant Danios (possibly the most hyper fish I've ever seen)
6 Blue Rams (I love watching these little guys!)
1 "Common" pleco (aka the 5" poopmonster)
1 "Bushy Nose" pleco
1 Golden Gourami. He's a crotchety old bugger and has killed all of the 3 females I've tried to get for him.
Finally, I have what MAY BE two "Columbian Sharks"..

My question: Looking at pictures of these sharks online, I'm not convinced that they are what they say they are... They look SIMILAR to the pictures online, but all of the pictures online display them with fairly substantial whiskers.

If you look at Picture 1 of Hexanematichthys seemanni on http://www.planetcatfish.com ....

The "columbian sharks" I have don't really look all that similar to this. The fin placement and structure seems to be the same though. Mine are all black, with two grey stripes running horizontally from just behind their head, stopping at their tails. Their undersides are also grey. They have whiskers, but they are barely noticable, and always run alongside their bodies.

Unfortunately, I don't have a camera right now, but hopefully I should be able to get some pictures posted.

Anybody have any ideas what these two guys could be? They are both approximately 4" long.

Second question: How many bottom feeders are TOO MANY bottom feeders? I would love to get some sort of bottom feeding shrimp, simply because they look cool, but a) I don't know if my other fish will eat them, and b) I'm not sure if the bottom level of my tank already has too many fish in it.

I think that's it for my bottom feeder questions... I have another question regarding the placement of the spray bar of my Eheim filter and my butterfly, but I'll save that for a post in a different area!

Thanks in advance!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check out striped pictus--sounds similar.

I wouldn't get any shrimp until you ID those cats--big cats tend to be predatory and likely would eat the shrimp. You could try with ghost shrimp--they are typically cheaper. Of course--your tank is getting close to crowded, IMO. Common pleco's get huge and are a big bio-load for any tank, and the cats could turn out to be a big variety as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store