Trout?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I'm thinking of putting some trout in my 150 gallon stock tank.

The water temp now is 55 degrees.

I've got two florida gar and 1 pumpkinseed sunfish in there but I will release the sunfish back into the lake it came from.

I've got a powerhead and a foam filter running 24/7 and am going to install a bigger pump filter soon for better filtration.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I live in the mountains of NC and might be able to get some rainbow trout fingerlings locally.

Wrench

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
You'll need strong currents and lower temps than that IMO. I know trout are happiest when temps are in the 30's and low 40's. Try to duplicate a stream enviornment as closely as possible. I was thinking about doing the same thing.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Do you think it would be viable to keep some trout in my stock tank over the winter?

Or are they hard to keep in aquaria?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Very hard to keep in aquariums. Size is the big issue--but they are also very territorial. Our fisheries biologists have a display tank, a 150, and they will not even try putting trout in there--it just won't work for very long. They can tolerate the warmer temps, but the nitrogen levels frequently are just too high (even in a cycled tank--0 ppm doesn't mean no ammonia, just less than .1 ppm) for long term survival.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
I tried to keep a 10" brown trout I caught last year outdoors but he jumped to his death out of the pond. :(

I figured fingerlings would be easier.

I would be keeping these with two gar.

The temp is ranging from 56-61 degrees but no higher since I set up the tub in September.

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Oh yes I would be harvesting and eating these trout when they get 8-10" and feeding them fish pellets that I feed my gar.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2003
www.geocities.com
I have heard of it being done before. However, I think they are one of the more difficult natives to keep. I can't recall the exact place I read that, since I have never had a desire to keep them.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
I can't imagine a 150 being nearly big enough for trout. Trout are excellent jumpers and like a whole lot of swim space.

A single rainbow by itself might work until it gets to around 8 - 10 inches. Brown trout require cool, well oxygenated water and are aggresive and territorial. This is why most overseas trout farms are stocked with non-native rainbows. When I lived in Scotland there was a rainbow trout farm connected to this small river and during a flash flood, a half million of them went into it. lol they were so tame we could catch them on shiny hooks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store