Lost my cleaner shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrewCab

AC Members
Oct 6, 2004
Tampa, FL
Sunday afternoon I picked up 2 false perc's and a cleaner shrimp for my 55ga. Sunday night about 5 hours after going to the pet store the shrimp was dead. The 2 perc's are fine and I am really confused to why the shrimp died. All my levels are correct in the tank and the SG is at 1.023. I am going to call the shop in the morning to see if they will replace the shrimp but I think the guarantee is only on fish.

DEdwards

AC Members
Nov 11, 2004
I had the same thing happen yesterday. LFS stated to acclimate the shrimp for 30 minutes. The cleaner shrimp was pregnant as well so I did what they requested and acc'd for 30 minutes. A hour after insertion into the tank I found her on her side in the back. I think it was a combination of her being pregnant, stress and not enough acclimation. Everything else that I put in there is fine, my water parameters are fine as well.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
A half hour is probably too short an acclimation period. The lore is that shrimp are particularly susceptible to shock from sudden changes in water conditions. Drip acclimation over the course of a few hours, or just adding small amounts of tank water over the same time, is preferable.

Ask the shop what their specific gravity is. It might be significantly different.

DEdwards

AC Members
Nov 11, 2004
The SG in both were within .001 of eachother in my case. I have found acclimation times on shrimp and everywhere states 2+ hrs. Darn LFS. :thud: :rant:

Reefer Ron

AC Members
Nov 7, 2004
Dothan, AL.
I used to be very impatient about quarentine and acclimation. I have learned the hard way! I spend at least 4 hours acclimating my new species, with a dripper from a dosser bottle and found I had a whole lot less problems!

TinaFishGirl

Trigger Lover
Nov 12, 2004
Gig Harbor, WA
I would think acclimation too. I acclimate at least 4 to 5 hours.
I am not trying to underestimate your guys intellegence, but most off the time they will molt when first acclimated due to stress. So did you pull it out and make sure?
When I get a shipment in half my bags will have two shrimp, of course one being a molt.

Reefer Ron

AC Members
Nov 7, 2004
Dothan, AL.
Just like a Locus. Pretty easy to tell if it is a molt or not! If the stomach is black it is not a molt.

jcoopergd

AC Members
Nov 15, 2004
Hehehe, as stupid a question as "did it molt" is.....it is a good question to ask....when Speed Racer (my cleaner) was put in, he molted the first night.....I woke up to a body in the corner - i pulled it out, and set it aside, and went out to have a moorning smoke - when i came back in - speed racer was back in the tank!!! I thought i was crazy!! then i looked at the molt and realized.....i had a bout 10 seconds of complete confusion!

j

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store