Green Terror That Lost its TERROR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaskilz

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
My Green Terror hardly swims around the tank. Its fins are clamped and often has a white stringy thing hanging from its butt. All my other fish are fine and the water parameters are perfect. I conduct a 15-20% weekly so what is wong with my fish Pookie??

biogirl361

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Michigan
white stringy thing might = internal worms or parasites. if he seems to start losing his appetite, try feeding some food specific for internal parasites (you might have to find some online, i am not sure how common medicated food is at your average fish stores). if he stops eating completely there is probably nothing that will be very effective.

Aquaskilz

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Thanks Bio -girl. I was doing a little research and discovered that there were a few medications on the market for parasites but I dont know which ones work the best...any suggestions??

biogirl361

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
Michigan
from what i have read the best cure for internal parasites seems to be metronidazole, but i have as yet been unable to procure any from my lfs's because it is apparently a suspected carcinogen or something and they aren't allowed to sell it. you might be able to find some online though. if the fish seems to be swelling up or has the pop-eye, the problem might also be bacterial, and there are billions of medications that claim to treat that... struggled with the same problem myself a couple times and haven't yet found something that worked very well. internal problems with fish are very hard to diagnose and find the right medicine for because you can't really see it and the external symptoms are consistant with a wide range of different problems. the stringy white poop does usually mean parasites though. good luck with it.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Aquaskilz said:
My Green Terror hardly swims around the tank. Its fins are clamped and often has a white stringy thing hanging from its butt. All my other fish are fine and the water parameters are perfect. I conduct a 15-20% weekly so what is wong with my fish Pookie??

Biogirl is right about the internal parasites. Metro is by far the best remedy. If the LFS won't sell it to you they may give you (which is legal, and if you ask nice) a few tablets to mix (soak) into your food and feed the fish.
If not Jungle makes a pretty good food/med called Pepso Food

You can get it online or at most LFS's

You can also try Jungle labs internal parasite guard. It has metro in it.

As with all meds just becareful to follow the instructions. If you are using the metro tablets. It is 1/2 a tablet ground up finely and added to the food. (pellets work best) then add a little water and mix. When all the water is soaked up feed the medicated pellets to your fish.

Aquaskilz

AC Members
Feb 25, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
OK... Thanks for sending the pic of the med. it sure is helpful so I can see what to buy. Question though....if he's not eating, then how will I administer the medication?? Is there something I could just add to the water?

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Meds.

The second one I posted the picture of "Jungle labs internal parasite guard"
is added to the water.

It turns the water a funky yellow color but seems to do a decent job from the times I have used it at the store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store