sick hoplo catfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

whatever

AC Members
Nov 26, 2004
The fish has changed habits recently. Bought when small, it grew quite quickly to four times original purchase size. Was very active and a heavy feeder often seen moving around the tank. Then became listless and inactive over past few days, hiding most of the time. Now very weak and unable to swim properly. Seems to have difficulty in controlling its flotation. It has gone pale and limp, including its barbels. Possibly dying. :sad No other fish in the communal tank seem to be ill. Water changes, etc., have been on normal cycle. Any ideas on the cause of sickness and remedy? Appreciate for help!!

whatever

AC Members
Nov 26, 2004
he's dead

he's dead yesterday. seems no one can help me here. another green fire tetra dead too this monring, and my pearl gouramis are looking sick. they stopped eating and i noticed their fins are turning into skeletons. what's wrong with my tank? can anyone help please? my friend told me i should take all the fish out and change all the water, would that help?

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
have you tested your water? post your values, amonia, nitrite, nitrates.
Its hard to say without these. Did you look at the dead fish, is there anything unusual on him, blood, fungus? I just don't know. So sorry to hear.
Change half the water, but not all of it. Make sure you use a dechlorinator with a stresscoat to add to the new water.

whatever

AC Members
Nov 26, 2004
values

thanks for that reply. pH and amonia are all within the normal range, havent got anything for testing nitrite/nitrates yet, as pet shop assitant didnt ask me to get them. if they are important, i will go to get some!

the hoplo cat's body just turn pale a bit. i didnt want to take him out so my flatmate did. but i didnt see anything unusual on his body at all! neither on the dead green fire tetra. i have lost 2 green fire tetra last week!

the female gouramis' dorsal fin has got white stuff on it, i think it's fungus. i got some of those blue remedy for getting rid of white spots so i tried last night but my khuli loaches got all creazy and turned pale because of that and turned ill! so i had to quickly change some what to dilute the water and later on they calmed down. i think i have to put the gouramis into a seperate bucket to do that.

the weired thing about it is apart from the sick ones, other fishes in the tank all seems pretty healthy and happy. but just all the sudden they turned unhappy and i dont know why!

tank: 20 gallon

black neon tetra: 11 (2 died)
green fire tetra: 11 (2 died)
hatcherfish: 5 (1 died)
pearl gouramis: 2 (5cm each, sick now)
black-eyed yellow bristlenose: 2 (3cm each)
khuli loach: 3 (4-5cm each)
dwarf loch: 5 (1-3cm)
port hoplo cat: 1 (4-5cm, died)
albino cory: 2 (3cm each)
sterba's cory: 2 (3cm each)
red lizard whiptail cat: 1 (5cm)

drift woods: 3 pieces
plants: about 7 different species and healthy
gravel: 2cm
fertilized soil underneath: 1-2cm
water change: every tuesday and friday night, 20%, always mix stress coat with new warm water
chamical: periodically some chemical pills in the filter to remain water crystal clear, and little bit of waste control liquid (never too much though)
food: half tea spoon of usual foods twice a day, one cube of frozen blood worms once or twice a week.

so where is the problem? im afraid today when i get back home from office, my gouramis will be dead already! :sad:

Last edited:

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
whatever said:
what can be done to get rid of the high ammonia? apart from water change?
if that fish list is correct 54!!!! fish in a 20 gallon??? you need to get another tank or watch fish die. Water changes shoud be 50% once a week and if you have any ammonia then do another one. Take some fish back to the LFS is another way to save their lives.
Did you cycle your tank?? and how??
need numbers for nitrate,nitriteand ammonia(needs to be 0)
STOP adding any and all chemicals.water changes will do the job of the chemicals. If you have ICH search for this and its treatments, no chemicals are needed for this.

whatever

AC Members
Nov 26, 2004
thanx & pearl gouramis died :(

thanx for your reply and i think they are good points :eek: yes maybe the tank is too small for so many fish but i thought they would cope as they are only small fishes.

i put the pearl gouramis into a bucket with some white spot remedy last night for about 2 hours and they put them back. the white fugus on male's tail and female's dorsal fin were very obvious and i can see 15% of their body has been infected. i didnt have any drugs for them because the pet shop is so far from where i live. i found them dead this morning. :sad

how many free swimming fishes you think i should get down to if i want to keep all my bottom feeders healthy? my city apartment unfortunately cant fit in another fish tank :(

list of my fish (up-to-day):

black neon tetra: 9
green fire tetra: 9
dwarf neon rainbowfish: 2 (3cm each)
hatchetfish: 4 (1.5cm each)

black-eyed yellow bristlenose: 2 (3cm each)
khuli loach: 3 (4-5cm each)
dwarf loach: 5 (1-3cm)
albino cory: 2 (3cm each)
sterba's cory: 2 (3cm each)
red lizard whiptail cat: 1 (5cm)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store