petsmart v/s jeff rapps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palehorse78

not your average fishman
Sep 14, 2002
Atlanta
is it safe to say the serious aquarist wont buy fish from petsmart.what are the pros and cons? of them both.

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
Theres a minimum order from jeff rapps. Jeff rapps probably won't sell you guppies.

Cons of shopping at petsmart: less flexibility, probably less rare stock, probably less quality, although that depends mostly on the individual petsmart.

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
I consider myself a very serious hobbyist. I've been doing this gig for over 25 years and currently have over 30 tanks. :D

Would I buy fish from Petsmart? Absolutely! If they have what I want...

I bought a very nice pair of 'Aquidens' sp. 'Goldsaum' from petsmart about 2 years ago. Only $8.99 ea. for 3" fish. A nice fish at a good price. Color was excellent as well. Not to mentioned I saved $50 in shipping!!

Besides the usual common fare, I have from time to time, seen some nice 'less than common' cichlids. Geo. brasiliensis, N. salvini, V. maculicauda & Cr. sp. 'Belly Crawler' to name a few.

The question you have to ask yourself is, 'Will I be happy with common cichlids?' Does Pestmart have what you want? If you simply want a JD or Firemouth I would not hesitate to buy one from Petsmart.

palehorse78

not your average fishman
Sep 14, 2002
Atlanta
i am hypnotized by the beauty of the midas is that considred common i bought a i think a midas from petsmart ppl on this forum say its prolly a crossbreed so iam think jeff rapps will be the way to go.what you think

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
I've had my best luck searching for a local breeder. Since Atlanta's a pretty big city, I'd bet you could find one nearby. They tend to have better quality fish, larger sizes, and cheaper...plus NO shipping.

oscar andy

I'm with stupid^
Jan 16, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I work at petsmart and my manager, just went to a meeting about our animals, and he got a lot of info on where we get our fish. almost all of our fish come from some of the best breeders in asia. After hearing alot of what happend in this meeting it sounds like petsmart is a much better corparation then they get credit for, it seems like the only place they go wrong is when they hire there employees, you don't have to know SH** to work there, but most of the uper managment does know alot. We will actualy stop selling animals if we lose to many of them, even if we make a large profit off of them(such as the painted glassfish, and the iguana)
So the fish quality at petsmart is very good, up untill a stupid employee has to take care of the fish, luckily everyone at my petsmart knows what there doing

cichlidsickness

AC Members
Aug 3, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.cichlidsickness.com
i have bought many fish from petsmart. though i have never bought any fish from jeff rapps. some fish they supply are kinda iffy. like the fish they call a "midas". others are great. most of the petsmarts i have been to have better looking fish, cleaner tanks, and lower prices than any of my local fish stores.

Wench

AC Members
Feb 25, 2002
Cleveland, NY
I wanted a midas myself. When I asked my favorite lfs if they could order me one, they didn't know what I was talking about.

I decided then and there if I wanted a true a midas then I was ordering from Jeff Rapps.
I didn't want to take the chance of having them order me one and raise it thinking it was one thing and it was another.

Jeff does require a minimum order but if you want to be sure your getting the right fish, I think its worth it.

I had to discipline (gosh I hate that word) myself and wait till I had the tank space to fill an order that met his $50 minimum order. It was worth it to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store