Salt treatment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquaDummy

AC Members
Sep 26, 2004
Kamloops, BC
Sorry to start a new thread as I know there are a couple going with regards to q-tanks and treating ich. I just didn't want to hijack either with my own questions.

Basically, I got all my fish at the same time after my fishless cycle. It's been about 4 weeks and all the fish look good - with the exception of my mickey mouse platies. I see no spots or anything but they are a bit pale. One platy occasionally rubs herself on a log. Mostly a couple are in hiding as the dominant ones kind of chase the others around - plus I think there is some mating rituals going on?

So, I'm a little concerned this may be the start of ich but really don't know. Can I do the salt water treatment even with my cories and bristlenose? Even if I don't see spots, would it be okay to do a salt water treatment or are there risks with it? Or should I just wait and see? I have had a sick cory before and with a bit of time he looks real good now.

I know I can try and net this one out and put in a q-tank but I don't have one yet and won't get to town for at least a few days.

justinb013

AC Members
May 25, 2004
ATL
Visit site
AquaDummy said:
Can I do the salt water treatment even with my cories and bristlenose? Even if I don't see spots, would it be okay to do a salt water treatment or are there risks with it? Or should I just wait and see?
I have done a salt/heat treatment with cories and plecos with no problems in the past, but as with any change in water parameters, there is some risk involved. Were it me, I would sit tight until I was sure there was ick in the tank. I'm a proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I would agree with the sit tight and observe Idea, I can honestly say (unfortuantely) that I have treated more than one fish to death, because I got in a hurry to cure something that either didn't exist or was mis-diagnosed. Scrathing and "flashing" are signs of ich, but they are also signs of about half a million other things as well. my guppies flash the plants and the bottom just to stir up food sometimes. Makes me nervous, but after several months I'm convinced they are OK.

Salt treatment is IME fine for cats and pleco's, and IMO much preferred over meds. However as said any change or treatment stands to cause some stress so I'd wait and see before putting your fish through it.
dave

AquaDummy

AC Members
Sep 26, 2004
Kamloops, BC
Can the scrathcing and flashing be signs of stress? As I watch my platies, I have a big female sunburst and a male mickey mouse that continue to chase around 2 of the smaller platies. I'm not sure that the smaller ones just aren't malnurished as they are always hiding and when they come out, they get chased. Those 2 are really the only fish that I have seen scratching.

Now maybe they are getting chased because they are sick? I have heard some fish will do that to others but not sure if that happens with platies.

I'll sit tight for a bit and keep watching. I'll also start reading up on ich treatments just in case but like I said, I see nothing on my fish yet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store