Skittery Silver Arowana

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
I recently got a silver arowana for my south american biotope. In the tank are: 4 silver dollars, a TSN, a Lima Shovelnose, a vampire plec, a coffee and cream plec, a leopardus plec. All of them more 5 or more inches long. All of them so far are doing fine in a large tank except for the arowana.

As of the moment, the arowana is very skittery and darts about so much. Also, it keeps on opening and closing its mouth like it is having a hard time breathing. All water parameters are okay. Aside from that, the day before I brought the fish in, I changed the water by 30% (like I usually do before I get a new fish).

I have a variety of overhead filters that move the water a lot. I also have a powerhead with venturri air pumping water for some current specially at the bottom for the large plecs. There is a lot of water movement.

The fish came from a community of arowanas and a knife fish in a small tank run with just small corner filters. Could it be just getting used to the bigger tank and environment? What are the dos and don't for the arowana?

Sorry I wasn't able to research much on the arowana. I am a catfish fanatic. I just received this fish as a gift plus I had wanted some fish that would swim at the top of the tank. Silvers would normally hide when I tunred the lights on. Please give whatever info is possible.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mike D.

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
they are all like that, it takes them some time to adjust. but with mine i was never able to keep tankmates or even have lights on the tank. mine also liked calmer water, i had to turn up the flow gradually over a few months.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
ya its possible he is breathing just fine but because the flow is more than he is used to he is overexerting himself thus making it nessasary to breath heavily to keep up with the demand

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
mokmu said:
I recently got a silver arowana for my south american biotope. In the tank are: 4 silver dollars, a TSN, a Lima Shovelnose, a vampire plec, a coffee and cream plec, a leopardus plec. All of them more 5 or more inches long. All of them so far are doing fine in a large tank except for the arowana.

As of the moment, the arowana is very skittery and darts about so much. Also, it keeps on opening and closing its mouth like it is having a hard time breathing. All water parameters are okay. Aside from that, the day before I brought the fish in, I changed the water by 30% (like I usually do before I get a new fish).

I have a variety of overhead filters that move the water a lot. I also have a powerhead with venturri air pumping water for some current specially at the bottom for the large plecs. There is a lot of water movement.

The fish came from a community of arowanas and a knife fish in a small tank run with just small corner filters. Could it be just getting used to the bigger tank and environment? What are the dos and don't for the arowana?

Sorry I wasn't able to research much on the arowana. I am a catfish fanatic. I just received this fish as a gift plus I had wanted some fish that would swim at the top of the tank. Silvers would normally hide when I tunred the lights on. Please give whatever info is possible.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Mike D.
Unless you have an extremely large tank these fish are going to be stressed from overcrowding. Those fish would need over 1000 gallons to be happy.
It's possible the TSN picks on it at night time. Eventually the TSN is going to eat those Silver dollars as well. If you're a catfish fanatic you should do a little more research before buying one of the largest predatory catfish in the world.

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
If you are such an expert, you should probably ask a few more questions yourself before ranting off about doing some research. I've been doing catfish for quite some time now. Please save the get the big tank and the giant pond for someone else. But, thanks for the answer about the arowana. That is all I was asking for.

We own a few rice paddies and a pepper farm around here and have the space for it at my farms. I have a 4000 gal pond which already has two full grown TSNs, two full grown asian walking cats and a full grown redtail cat. I have a separate pond (500 gals) for the full grown monster --- the asian red-tailed catfish. Also another 1000 tank (indoor) for other fish. There is no need for heating because the climate here is almost the same as South America. The two big ponds are outdoor ponds and I reuse the water to drain out into the rice fields when I do cleaning. The plants get refreshing nutrient rich water whenever we do water changes. The pond is just made of ordinary cement and hollow blocks and painted with marine / aquarium friendly paint.

By the way, we also have a swimming pool in my farm. We also fill it up with chlorine-free water. After a number of days, we use the same water to water our pepper plants as well.

So ergo the ones in my 180 gal are for grow out. Any more funny questions? I was just asking about my arowana. I included as much as I could regarding my problem so people wouldn't have to ask anymore questions. So those who have answered about the arowana, thanks!!!

Yes, including you Mr. Cdawson.

Regards,
Mike D.

Last edited:

mokmu

AC Members
Jan 10, 2002
Singapore/Philippines
Arowana update:

My arowana does not seem to be doing well. It already has lost some scales on the top of its head. Any suggestions? Any will help. Thanks.

Regards,
Mike D.

PS. No more questions and comments about tank sizes please.

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
TSN is prob picking on him. And the current might be stressing him out, try turning off the powerhead for a while and see if it gets any better.

sounds like you have some pretty sweet places for your fish

midcuk

AC Members
Feb 10, 2003
newcastle
Visit site
deffo the current mate try and use a spraybar to diffuse them arrowanas in my experience dont like too much water flow, also try adding a little salt to the aquarium this does wonders in my experience with them the tsn maybe bullying him try sitting up late one night and watching to see and if so then remove one or the other.
is the arro still feeding well or not? generally if they are feeding well they are ok, at the first sign of real trouble they dont feed at all and its time to be very concerned.

chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store