Actinic lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SpankyPlants

AC Members
Nov 27, 2004
OK, so I'm an idiot and I ordered compact fluorescents for a saltwater tank... to be used with my freshwater planted. It's a dual compact fixture, with one 40w 10,000K bulb, and one 460nm actinic bulb. Will these bulbs hurt my plants? Should I take the actinic bulb out, or will it be ok? :confused:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Send the lights back. They should take them back. Explain the mistake..

afss

AC Members
Nov 23, 2004
St Catharines, Ontario
home.cogeco.ca
the actinic will not hurt your plants but it isn't the right spectrum to really help them either
actinic is used to bring out the color in marine fish and coral. It would likely bring out some interesting colors in the fw fish but it isn't going to affect the plants.

Scott

victimizati0n

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
i had an actinic light on my tank.
It was OK, but mainly washed out the colors of my fish.

I heard they are good for chiclids though, as they GREATLY improve their colors.

SpankyPlants

AC Members
Nov 27, 2004
OK phew, glad to hear it won't hurt anything. The only fish in the tank are going to be a betta, a couple of kuhliis, and an otto or SAE. I'm not worried about fish color really; this tank is more for the plants. :D

NowherMan6

AC Members
Jun 28, 2004
Visit site
if the tank is more for the plants then you really should get different bulbs, preferably in the 6500K range. actinics arent good at all for growing plants and the 10,000K will probably wash all the colors out - what's the good of having healthy plants if they still look like crap to you? When I ordered my compact flour. hoods I had the same thing - the 10,000K bulb and the actinic.. I think most consumer hoods come that way cause they're meant for salt water. anyway, you'll probably be better off getting two new bulbs.

SpankyPlants

AC Members
Nov 27, 2004
Aaahhh crap. OK I'll send those back when they get here. So I need bulbs in the 6500K range? Got it. Thanks for all the help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store