Plecos with Red Bellies ?? Is it possible ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FISHGUY_CA

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Wiinipeg, MB Canada
Visit site
arial darkred

Dear Anyone,
This is a question regarding whether or not I can keep a Pleco with my Red Bellies or not. I have seen them in tanks with Red Bellies before, however I know they were all introduced to one tank at the same time therefore somewhat getting along other than the occasional fin nipping and tail munching :p I just wanna know if keeping a Pleco with Pirahnas is even possible or not. I feed them every 2nd day with prepared beef heart and pellet food believe it or not they will eat it. I have owned Pirahnas before and HAD a striped Talking Catfish(Rapheal Cat), yes it talks I'm serious, only to wake up to find it ...... well let's just say it wasn't too pleasing for the eyes. I've heard so long as the Red Bellies aren't hungry they SHOULD leave it alone for the most part if it's bigger than they are right now (almost 6 inches now) so any advice you can give me is VERY appreciated and yes the Raphael Cat and Reds I introduced to the tank at the same time yet they still ate him those crazy freak fish I tells ya. By the way had a close call last night, cleaning the remains of one dead feeder and got nipped on the side of the hand, kinda stings let's say, be more careful in the future. Thanks for all your help guys and gals :D Happy fishkeeping to all and to all a good day, K sorry I sound like Moses for God's sakes. Bye everyone and best of luck ......
Yours Truly :)
FISHGUY_CA
" Well now young man that attitude and 5 cents will get you A HOT CUP OF JACCK SQQUAAAT" - Chris Farley- God bless him why did he go the way of such idols as Hendrix and Morrison ??

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Red Bellys are unpredictable,if they try to attack the pleco when they are not hungry,they would lose interest thanks to the pleco armour but if they are,probably they ripped the armour apart.

FISHGUY_CA

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Wiinipeg, MB Canada
Visit site
Thanks Serrateeth :)

times dark red

Dear Serrateeth,

Thanks for all your replies and sorry I haven't gotten back to ya earlier. Just so you know what happened, I had five large SA Cichlids along with the Raphael Cat I mentioned earlier and everything was just going great. I got a phone call from a friend one day who had two large Red Bellies and his Cichlids had babies so he needed a new tank and had to get rid of the Red Bellies. I made him a trade the five Cichlids I had (Two Brownae Haps, Two Electric Blues, and one Peacock Jewel along with the Raphael Cat) for his Red Bellies but for some odd reason I'll never know, I kept the Raphael Cat THINKING he'd be ok. Well, figuring the Raphael cat was in the tank firsth, the Red Bellies would leave him alone for the most part as I kept the Piranhas well fed at all times just to make SURE he wouldn't get munched on. Mistake she wrote is all I have to say. I woke up one morning and said to myself; " hey now that's weird, how come the Raphael cat is sitting on the bottom of then tank during the day I thought they were nocturnal fish. He wasn't moving yet his top portion was still there, no missing fins, no eyes missing, all his whiskers everything seemed ok. I grabbed the bet and turned him over and let's just say it looks like he exploded. There was NOTHING there but his ribcage, maybe that's why he was so stiff when I tapped him with the net I suppose huh ??? Won't make that mistake again they tore right through him like nothing was ever there. In reply to your response about them peaceful docile fish, I now know they are NOT at all but I'm still gonna keep 'em I love the little guys they are great to watch and have become very interested when I walk into the room they aren't scared of me anymore whatsoever however I do know better than to try and pet them like they are Large pond Koi I don't want a trip to Emergency at midnight :p One question I have is what kinds of REAL plants can I use that they won't rip to shreds ???? I've heard Vallisneria and Java Fern and Amazons are ok, however they like moss attached to Bogwood and I've placed some kinda moss to pieces of Coconut shell and they seem to like that idea. I have mostly plastics right now and they SUCK I wanna get rid of them I find myself doing constant water changes to rid the tank of leftovers and find it a pain in the ass cleaning these stupid plants of all the time. I don't wanna be thoroughly cleaning my tank every 2 days and disturbing the "kids" all the time I don't want them dying on me. That would suck now wouldn't it ??? Like I said Serrateeth, thanks for your replies they have been of great help and sorry I haven't had time to get back to you. Take it easy and write me back whenever you have some time, it is greatly appreciated ever so much. Thanks alot for your time and happy fishkeeping :D :D :D :D
Sincerely Yours,
FISHGUY_CA

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store