My Clownfish the PIG

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Particleman

AC Members
Oct 23, 2004
Irvine, CA
Are clownfish generally piggy like in their eating habbits? I'm constantly amazed at the vacuum that is my clownfish. I've been feeding this fish and a sixlined wrasse some frozen formula 1, and some pellets of formula 2 about once a day for a few mins at a time. The wrasse is pretty laid back in his eating habbits just grabbin a few pieces here and there but the clownfish practically rips it out of my hand. He is definitly fed enough but just likes to eat. Should I slow up on feeding perhaps only every other day?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yes, most species of clowns are enormous pigs, eating anything and everything they can. You can try either reducing the amount that you offer each feeding, or spreading the same amount out a bit more--bigger concern would be if this is impacting water quality. I've never heard of an overfed clown having any other problems (predators that are overfed frequently do have health issues).

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
Both my clowns are pigs also. They are also the best MOOCHERS!! :D As for eating they are only outdone by my overgrown domino. I put up with the domino because he's about the mellowest one I've ever seen. He also eats any extra food that reaches the bottom! The clowns constantly run him off over food and they are quite a bit smaller than he is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store