Petsmart -vs- petsmart.com prices

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MikefromNH

AC Members
Nov 21, 2004
I just thought I'd post this. I've seen it here, I think, in the past but I figured it deserved it's own thread.

My Magnum 350 started making some funky sounds last night. I shut it off and when I turned it back on, crunch!!, part of the impeller assembly broke, no big deal, I'll fix it. What is the big deal is that was my only filter.....

So,.....I read a bunch of reviews on the net and decided on a Rena XP-3 as the replacement. Petsmart.com listed it for 104.99. The Petsmart retail store price was....................169.99!!!! :mad2 :rant: :mad2

Petsmart will give you the internet price in the retail store ONLY if you have a printed copy of the price from the website. They will not accept any other web companies prices. I didn't find out til' I was in the store and I wasn't about to drive an hour back home to print out a copy but luckily I remembered there was a Comp USA next door. After a little brown nosing I was back at Petsmart to get my XP-3 $65 cheaper.

MikefromNH

AC Members
Nov 21, 2004
Kasakato said:
Well I guess they could of just went online to THEIR site and took a look at the price. The best thing is not to go to any big store for fish, just go to your LFS.
They claimed they didn't have internet access which is most likely a lie, BUT, if you owned the store and a customer asked to see the internet price on the computer in YOUR store then..............well, I'm sure you get it. $$$:D

I also agree with your last statement, Kasakato. Unfortunately, while my LFS has prices as low as Big Als or many others websites, they only place special orders once a week which is what the XP-3 would have been. Besides, they are closed on mondays. :rolleyes:

Yes, all the employees I talked to today at the L Petsmart were idiots, with all due respect. None of my questions were answered. Thats why we have great forums like this one!

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
MikefromNH said:
They claimed they didn't have internet access which is most likely a lie, BUT, if you owned the store and a customer asked to see the internet price on the computer in YOUR store then..............well, I'm sure you get it. $$$:D
The two PetsMarts I worked at did not have any in-store internet access and neither does the Petco I work for now. Well, they have access to their own internal system, but not to outside site (including the regular web site, conversly, I can't access Petco Portal from home either though). They both require you to bring in the ad from *any* store you want to price-match and they way they are set up, they web transactions as *losses* from their stores as if they are competition instead of part of the same company. Odd but true and rather stupid if you ask me (not that they would....)

In both cases, you can almost always find big-ticket items like filters cheaper through a catalouge like Big Al's or Dr Foster's and Smith.

MikefromNH

AC Members
Nov 21, 2004
Dapple2 said:
The two PetsMarts I worked at did not have any in-store internet access and neither does the Petco I work for now. Well, they have access to their own internal system, but not to outside site (including the regular web site, conversly, I can't access Petco Portal from home either though). They both require you to bring in the ad from *any* store you want to price-match and they way they are set up, they web transactions as *losses* from their stores as if they are competition instead of part of the same company. Odd but true and rather stupid if you ask me (not that they would....)

In both cases, you can almost always find big-ticket items like filters cheaper through a catalouge like Big Al's or Dr Foster's and Smith.
Yeah, they told me they needed a paper copy of their internet price ONLY to send in to "Petsmart headquarters" so they could be reimbursed. As far as only honoring only their web price, thats what I was told by the manager. Maybe they'll match newspaper ads but as far as internet goes, only their website??.... Big Als, for example, has the XP-3 for $87.99 :eek:. If they honored prices like that most "smart" shoppers would capitalize on the deal and they wouldn't make enough to keep the doors open.

MikefromNH

AC Members
Nov 21, 2004
Kasakato said:
Trrue, True. My LFS is Big Als, they have actural stores up hree in Canada. We dont have the problem of waiting for them to special order anything because they always have everything in stock. In fact at my location thay had about 1- XP3s just waiting there to be bought.
Sure!! Rub it in!! :rolleyes:

chunksofpoooo

sloth loves chunk
Sep 16, 2004
Los Angeles, California
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store