55gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
Looking for some SA/CA occupants for my 55 gallon. I'd like something that is terretorial, but won't kill anything you put in with it.
I was thinking somethimg from the Geo family, blue acaras, severums maybe firemouths. Something I could keep in a pair and still not max out the tank when full grown
If i'm being too picky let me know thx.

Co/\/vict

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Columbia, TN
My 2 cents.... Firemouths suck. You're lucky to get one with good color, and in 4 months mine grew maybe half an inch! And it isn't food or water quality.

Geo Family.... never owned them but have heard many good things about them.

Severums.... Excellent choice, I am fixing to get rid of a few convicts to empty a 55 of mine in exchange for a few severums. Great coloration.......

My personal opinions......(but you won't be able to put any other fish in it)

Jaguar
Midas
Oscar
Texas

You got a lot of options with a 55 gallon:)

perrito_blanco

Cichlidophile
Sep 9, 2002
NJ, USA
Chocolate Cichlid
Keyhole Cichlid
Salvani Cichlids (great colors!)
Convicts

I wouldn't put more than 6 sub-adults in a 55. Whatever you choose, consider their adult size.

Have you considered dwarf cichlids?

blee358

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Visit site
I think firemouths, severum, chocolate cichlids, salvinis, or convicts would be ok. Although they're aggresive, they won't overcome anything in the tank. Nearly every single species of the Geo family can be housed in a 55 gallon tank so I woud go with any of those. I was going to say green terrors and jack dempseys, but they are way too aggresive. I think a blue acara will seem like a good replacement for them.

bobbdd

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
GEOS!

Geophagus are my favorite, but the shouldn't be housed with any of the more aggressive SA/CA fish. Also, depending on the variety, the can grow 8-12 inches. Ask questions and I'll let you know what I know....good luck!

Oh, as another option, I heard that the Rainbow Cichlids are good. I've seen some pics of these and they look good.

Last edited:

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
could a pair of juripares, or most other geos, get along with a pair of blue acaras?
or would that be too crowded?

and if I went with severums how many could I keep fully grown in a 55?

k, I looked through my book and here are the geos i'm interested in, brasiliensis, jurupari, steindachneri, and one that wasn't in teh book, but i'v seen and liked, pellegrini.

Last edited:

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
I am a fan of Firemouths and Geophagus personnaly... Dont have a big enough tank for geo though... :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store