Best ICH treatment??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I have heard (but I'm no expert) that ich is more an annoyance than a life threatining disease. I am definately with morleyz, if medications can be avoided, it is preferable. However, the ich medications do work if neccessary. I have also heard that ich will always be in your tank and that it is an opportunist waiting for a chance to break out. So then keeping a healthy tank = no ich.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
ICH is NOT always present in your tank. It is a parasite, and can not go dormant for extended periods of time.

for treatment, I agree with Morleyz.

Matak

Out of the blue!
Jun 18, 2002
Near Toronto
I stand corrected

Went to The Skeptical Aquarist and read up on Ich. Surprise, surprise, the notion that ich is always resident in fish tanks is an "old wives tale" and "pure rubbish". You can read about the matter at the link above and go to: Health/ Disease/Parasites and click on the Ich link.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I'm in general agreement with the above except on dosage - 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons per gallon are quite enough salt to do the job. 2-3 tablespoons per gallon could do harm to Corys, some loaches, etc.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
In my experience, ich kills.

I've got clown loaches in my tank (sensitive to some meds), and cories, who don't handle salt well at all. I've also got plants. So ...

The best thing I've ever found for ich is Jungle's Ich Guard (the granules--not the liquid Ich Guard II, which does not work).

Treatment: take out the carbon, do not change the tank temperature, and do not add salt. Dose with the Ich Guard at half strength.

Wait 24 hours. If ...

... you still see ich on the fish, do a water change and dose again, at half strength. Do nothing for four or five days. Ich will be gone.

... you don't see ich on the fish, leave everything alone for four or five days. Ich gone.

Works for me every time, and I've tried lots of methods before finding this one. It also doesn't harm my fish.

-- Pat

Gebo

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Visit site
I've had my aquariums for over 1 year and have never had ich til now and only 1 species (lyonsi) got it, that I could visibly see. I had to rely on LFS and they sold me on Quick Cure. I used that for 5 days, raised temp to 82 and added 1 tbls salt/5 gallons. ANyway, that was last Saturday and the spots were gone by Tues.

At first, they suggested I use Clout but for 90 gal tank it wuld be so expensive. First time can freak you out. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store