Test kit test tube FYI reminder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MikefromNH

AC Members
Nov 21, 2004
Most folks probably know this but...............

DO NOT let the water and chems sit in the tubes. When you're finished with each test, immediately wash/rinse out the tube THOUROUGHLY. Lately I've been testing my water before going to bed and several times I've forgotten the liquid (usually ammo and nitrate test) in the tubes til' the next day. I then noticed some of the empty tubes were tinted when compared to an unused one. This could definately skew the results when comparing to a color chart. I had to clean them out with a Q-tip and all is well now.

It never occured to me that this could happen, but it does. Kind of a newbie mistake maybe. :rolleyes: Also my LFS told me to be careful with one of the tests, nitrate or nitrite. After repeated exposure with the test mix, the outside markings on the tubes will soon wear off. Not the end of the world but a relatively easy to avoid situation.

Like I said, most people probably know this but it dosen't hurt to spread the word.

See ya'

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Good to hear I'm not the only one who has made this mistake. I started storing my test tubes and caps in a container of distilled water. The stains go away, my tests are more consistant, and since I have to put them back in the distilled water to put them away, I'm more apt to always rinse them out first.
dave

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store