gouramis and angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Yes. Pearl gouramis and dwarfs especially. Blues/gold/opaline can be problematic depending on the fish's temperment. Males usually are the aggressors....females tend to be more mellow.

nickbuter

nickbuter
Oct 27, 2004
Madison, Wisconsin
ok next question, I have well filtered 55 gallon community tank, mostly live plants. The barbs are "sawing" some of the live plants down so about a quarter of the live plants are now floating plants.

6 black skirt tetras
5 gold barbs
7 assorted cory's
2 swordtails
3 platies
2 angels
do you think 2 pearl gouramis would be ok in that?

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Very close to your maximum stocking level....but should work fine.

jenbet

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
I have an angel and 2 gouramis together and they get along 'swimmingly' (of course that is after the angel let them know who's boss! ;)

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
nickbuter said:
ok next question, I have well filtered 55 gallon community tank, mostly live plants.
6 black skirt tetras
5 gold barbs
7 assorted cory's
2 swordtails
3 platies
2 angels
do you think 2 pearl gouramis would be ok in that?
I think you might be asking for trouble - angels and gouramis are both territorial. In many cases two angels will fight; in a 55, there's enough room for them to get along because both have their own space. If you add two (probably male, since it's harder to find females) pearl gouramis, you're going to have twice as many large fish who each want their own territory. I've seen posts from people saying that pearls absolutely terrorized their tanks, so I'd make sure you have a back up plan - either another tank, or buy from a LFS that will take them back if it doesn't work out.
One tip - try rearranging the tank a bit right before you put the new fish in. That way, everyone's on even ground, and they're not 'invading' an already established territory.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store