"Aquarium Driftwood" - Online Plant Retailer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hforney

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
Has anyone purchased live plants from "Aquarium Driftwood" online? They have a "Decorator Package" for a 55g I am interested in. It comes complete with driftwood and live plants for a 55g - 100g tank. The cost for the package is $85. Any references from satisfied customers would help in my decision.

Thanks in advance,

hforney

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
P.S. Specifics of the Package

P.S. This is the specifics of the package.

Deluxe Decorator Kit #2 (For 55 to 100 gal. tanks)
1 Large Centerpiece $30.00
1 Medium Centerpiece $21.25
2 Driftwood Multi-Level $9.00
8 Corkscrew Val $3.92
2 Water Wisteria $5.98
1 Amazon Sword Small $1.89
1 Amazon Sword Large $5.49
1 Melon Sword Med $3.99
1 Aponogeton Crispus $2.49
5 Giant Val $4.50
1 Tiger Lotus $4.99
1 Bacopa $1.99
6 Pygmy Chain Swords $4.98
2 Rotala Indica $3.98

Total Value $102.06
Your Cost $85.00

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Wow, many of those plants get huge. I really doubt you want all of them for your 55. Are the centerpieces plants or wood? If they are wood then it's not as big as I thought at first.

The swords, aponogeton and lotus can all get very big. The giant vals get big too, and their leaves are so long that they cover the surface and shade other plants.

You might want to consider picking individual plants that you want specifically rather than ordering a package. As for driftwood, I've heard many positive reviews about the site you mention. I think if you call them they can find pieces that match what you're looking for (size, shape, etc.).

hforney

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
"Aquarium Driftwood" Decorator Plant Package

Captain Hook,

The centerpieces are driftwood, 1 large piece, 1 medium piece, and several small pieces. As I am new to the live plants, I thought this might be ideal for me to have some else select which plants should be used. At this point I don't have a preference of one plant over another. I think live plants add a special touch to the aquascape.

"Aquarium Driftwood" has a very small webpage, which could mean they are just starting out in buisness or they do very little online sales. At any rate I would like to hear a couple of good reviews before I send my hard earned cash across the phone line.

Thanks for your info!

hforney

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
Captain Hook said:
Wow, many of those plants get huge. I really doubt you want all of them for your 55.

Captain Hook what do you think it I chose the smaller plant package and fill in with additional plants later if needed. This is the specifics for the smaller package.

Decorator Kit #1 (For 29 Gallons or similar size)

1 Medium Centerpiece Driftwood $21.25
1 Driftwood Multi-level $4.50
5 Corkscrew Val $2.45
1 Water Wisteria $2.99
1 Melon Sword Small $2.99
1 Amazon Sword Med. $3.49
5 Pygmy Chain Swords $3.99
1 Anubias $5.99
1 Rotala Indica $1.99
1 Bacopa $1.99
1 Anacharis $1.99
1 Java Fern $2.99
Total Value $56.11
Your Cost $47.00

hforney

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
Captain Hook Pics

Captain Hook, I took a look at the tank pictures. If I could set my 55g up to look half that good I would be happy!!!!!!!!

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
They have been around for a very long time. They pull wood from swamps in their back yard. Just an old couple doing this in their spare time. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them. It sounds like a lot of wood, depends on how big they are. The prices on the wood are pretty good. There are some big plants in that package, the swords and the Tiger lotus.

Take a look at my assortments, no wood included though.

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Not trying to discredit Aquarium Driftwood at all, but you may want to consider buying your plants from a separate source. For driftwood they will probably be your best bet though.

There are many good plant sources available. Here's a pretty good list: Online plant venders

Also you might want to figure out what kind of tank you want before ordering. By this I mean how much lighting, fertilizing, pruning, CO2 requirements, water changes, etc. you are willing to have. Generally, lower light tanks have fewer requirements.

I suggest doing some research, finding plants you like and ordering those. Try to start to easy to moderate plants, not difficult ones. Also LOTS of stem plants from the beginning is a good idea.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

Excellent site to begin your research. I suggest browsing by light requirements and difficulty first.

www.tropica.com

A good place to go once you have some ideas of plants you like. Provides approximate sizes and more info.

hforney

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
Thanks Again Captain Hook

Thanks again for the info Captain Hook. I ordered my stand last week, so I am still a week or so away from before I start my initial set-up. I did read a beginners book on aquariums and the one lesson it stressed is patience! This is why I am searching the net and asking questions, hopefully this will eliminate some failures. I will look into the links you sent. At this juncture I don't expect to have georgous plants as an expert would. I really think in the beginning I will have enough to do monitoring the water and selecting the proper fish. So I will take it slow with the plants.

Thank-you again!!!!!!!!!

You and others have been very helpful on this forum. Being an aquarist must be a great hobby because everyone seems so pleasant and helpful!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store