KNO3,K2SO4, and other good things

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The Gipper

AC Members
Jan 6, 2002
Dublin, Ohio
I've finally set up a 120 (48x24x24) this past weekend - Onyx Sand, 2x175 watt MH, Wet Dry (thanks for the tips, Tom B), gas CO2. The tank is stocked heavy with plants.

As far as fish load: 7 Altum Angels will be its primary fish (in a quarantine tank right now), with a school or two of Cories.

I want to make sure I have KNO3, K2SO4 dosing correct. Below are some of the other water parameters:

82 deg F
pH 6.7 (maintained by CO2)
KH 3 (although I expect the Onyx to raise this a little)

I'm using Fluorish as my trace elements, adding according to directions.

Questions::

KNO3 - I have a Lamotte Nitrate test kit. I will try to maintain 10ppm NO3 (is this correct amount?) by adding KNO3. Is 1/4 tsp per 35 gal of water 3 times per week a good starting point?

K2SO4 - 1/4 tsp per 35 gal of water once a week a good starting point?

Should I be concerned with P, and if so what do I get to add P to the tank?

Could I go ahead and add the 7 Altums (half dollar body size) to this new tank assuming the plants will prevent any serious ammonia spike?

thanks in advance...Mark

Last edited:

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
I think you will want to refrain from adding the altums for a while. I think I'd add some Otos right about now and then in a week or so add a few cories.. Then add a few more cories the next week. I waited about a month after starting my tank before I added my angelfish. By then it was growing well.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Work on the plants first, get that whole thing going well first..............
Then after a month, add the fish.
Feed the fish a variety of food, do not feed them nothing but live worms etc.

Same applies to folks and Discus.

Your CO2 is too low also. 6.4-6.6 would be better(6.5 target).
Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store