My Yellow Tang won't eat.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dpbiker

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2004
For the last couple weeks my Yellow Tang has refused to eat and is beginning to look rather emaciated. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas of what might be wrong or a way to entice him to eat again. The tank is a fairly new but fully cycled and the water seems to test out ok. His tank mates include, a small hippo tang, a banana wrasse, a percula clown and a yellow chromis damsel (75 gallon tank). The other fish are all doing great and eating readily. Originally the yellow tang was too but is now very shy and won’t touch a bit of food. It doesn’t seem as if any of the other fish or aggressive towards him and there or no obvious signs of illness. Any ideas are welcome. I should note that the fish are feed a mix of flake food and frozen brine shrimp.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
That diet is inadequate for a Yellow Tang (and lacks variety for the rest even)- he needs greens. That's like offering a bunny steak :eek:
Try a piece of nori seaweed in a veggie clip- he should have access to green food most all the time as Yellow Tangs are grazers and need to nibble. Nori, spirulina, macroalgae, even blanched broccoli- greens!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agreed--greens are a requirement for tang health. I leave one or two walls of my 120 covered in algae, just for the single yellow tang in there. All day, he darts in and out of the rock, grazing on the walls. And, I supplement his diet with Formula 1, that has some protiens and veggie based foods in it, and macro algae from another tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store