Knifefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryknier

just tryin to make it fun
Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
I have been looking at a knifefish, and was curious, because I could not find a picture of a black ghost knifefish, I know what a clown knifefish and an african knifefish looks like, but does anyone have a picture or know of a site that has a picture of a black ghost knifefish? Any want to share a picture of theirs, thanks!

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
I'd give you a pic of mine but he moves too fast for my cheap digicam, but the ones up there are super. The most beautiful and graceful fish I've ever seen. When I watch him I see why Africans say these fish are the 'spirits' of their warrior ancestors. Hence: 'Ghost' Knife Fish. :)

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
went to the LFS and checking out some fish and getting ready for a buy, and asked him if he could special order a BGK, and he said, aww I just sold both of them an hour ago, but I have a clown knifefish. I was like MAN!!!!

Swimfins

Forego the clown I'd say, I prefer the peaceful and more graceful Ghost. The coloring, swimming patterns and his friendly nature makes him #1 for me.
It took a few weeks to get him accustomed to the tank, tank noises, etc. I found it difficult to feed him at first, I would melt bloodworms and mix them with tank water and drop them to the bottom before the other fish got them. I watched to make sure he got 5 or six bites. Now, he zips to the top to take clumps of bloodworms, and I think it won't be long until I can hand feed. He was about 4 inch when I got him in mid October. Now he is close to 6 inches, so I will be moving him to a new tank after Christmas. Just beware they can grow to 18 inches. But, in captivity it could be smaller. Also, clean water is a must due to his being a scaless fish. He has a fine black skin that you can see is smooth.
I chose a small one from about a dozen or so.

Keep your eyes open, I've noticed all the LFS I've been to have got them in stock now. But, they tell me they aren't always available. Goodluck.

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
Has anyone else had a black ghost that 'committed suicide'? Mine did. :sad
I went to feed him one night and didn't see him in the tank, looked all around and found him on the floor behind the chair, all dried up and dead. If I ever get another, I'll cover up all the gaps in the back of my hood with plastic canvas.
RIP Shadow.

ryknier

Nov 10, 2004
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Swimfins said:
Forego the clown I'd say

I am guessing that is forget the clown, the clown is really neat looking, but it gets to 24", I think that would be ok in a 72, but I would rather the smaller 18" BGK, and I like the white stripe on the back!

I am taking your word for it swimfins! I am getting the BGK

Swimfins

Well the clown knife is alot larger and more aggressive than the BGK, and you need a huge tank for him, over 100g, tankmates need to be large also.
In the case of the BGK, you can keep him with most anything but small neons, and large cichlids and fin nippers like tiger barbs.
And you can't beat the cool coloration too.

So sorry about Shadow, must of been heartbreaking. I've read that they will jump out. The way mine zips to the top, I can see it happening. I think a long tall tank is most suitable. Keep your tanks covered.

Last edited:

Seattle206

lets get blown...
Oct 27, 2004
Seattle, WA
I had a clown knife back when I was in middle school, it lived in a 60 gallon. It grew from 4inches to 17inches in 3 years. It died from poor water conditions. Cool fish though, easy to keep and will eat anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store