science fair project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

opie

AC Members
Dec 28, 2001
Illinois
Visit site
My sister is doing a science fair project on the regeneration rates of starfish when they lose an arm. Having problems finding any info on the topic? Any help in giving us a push in the right direction would be appreciated. thanks

Gealcath

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
Visit site
If you plan on actually observing one keep these in mind:

#1 Actually cutting off a arm yourself can often cause a fungal infection, hence excellent water quality would be required.

#2 Certain starfish have little to no regenerative capabilities and will regenerate arms VERY slow, Brittle stars are among the quickest and fastest in terms of regeneration (they break off thier arms to escape preditors, hence the name "Brittle") and can usually start to see recovery within a week assuming its in good health. Shrilanka's are an example of poor regeneration, and can often take weeks before any signs of recovery are noticed, again assuming the health of the star in question.

If you dont plan on actually preforming an experiement on a live one, its often hard to find information on just arm recovery, since most studies are done with actual aesexual cloning, as in actually cutting a starfish in half and both halves regenerating into 2 complete organisms.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
WHat kind of information are you looking for? If you are looking for stuff about the molecular mechanisms of regeneration, you might hunt around for articles using PubMed. Using the keywords "echinoderm regeneration" got me a few hits. If you are looking for relative rates in different species, I would be willing to bet that a lot of that was done a long time ago, and may not be so easy to get online. I'll poke around a little bit more, and see what turns up.

opie

AC Members
Dec 28, 2001
Illinois
Visit site
I went ahead and cut a chocalate chip star in half. Hopefully the project goes the mway we planned. But if the project doesn't work, just more food for my harlequin shrimp. I appreciate the help. Thanks! Oh by the way should I add an UV sterlizer?

qtaquaman

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Growth rates

In my experience the single biggest factor in growth is water volume. If you plan an actual hands on experiment with a starfish in some sort of tank the data will be poorly reflective of nature.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store