picky coral beauty angel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

180_reef

Registered Member
does anyone know the best food to feed a coral beauty,ive tried marine pellets,bloodworms even brine and it just ignores them.

the only thing it seems to eat is freshwater tropical flakes that are meant for the mullet and copepods off the liverock. any ideas?

tank conditions
6x2x2
1 large piece of flatish lr that cost $84 ( $12 per kilo )
7 medium pieces of dead coral
good levels
2" sand

inhabitants

2 silver mullet (3")
1 dwarf 6 line wrasse 1.5"
1 coral beauty 3.5"

please help if u can
thanx

Daverman

AC Members
I had a coral beauty a few months ago, but, unfortunately, it died from a severe case of ich (in spite of my pristine water conditions and angel-friendly environments). They can be picky eaters from time to time. Mine was exactly like your coral beauty when I first introduced it to my tank. I tried every type of live and frozen food, but it didn't look interested in them. So I finally tried "Mysis Shrimp" without any hope. But, as soon as I put them in the tank, my coral beauty just went crazy. It literally ate every single piece of them. From my experience, I found out that no fish can resist the taste of mysis shrimp. Even my 2" juvenile dwarf fuzzy lionfish, the pickiest fish in the world, couldn't resist it. So I strongly recommend you to try it as your last effort. Good Luck. I hope it'll work.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Hi,
I have a rock beauty.. I'm pretty sure they're from the same family of angels. Anyway, I heard that they aren't the easiest fish to keep. Fortunately, I've had mine for about 6 months, and he's still doin good. Angels need sponges as part of their regular diet. I feed mine frozen angel formula food, which has a base of sponge in it. He gobbles everything up. Not sure if that can help.

Good luck.. :)

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Dwarf angels don't need as much sponge-based foods as larger angels do (like Cheech's rock beauty). However, they DO need a lot of algaes. Try some spirulina flake food. My CB would only eat this for a long time before it started to try meatier foods as well.

rdrews

Registered Member
Feb 7, 2005
Coral Beauty

I bought a coral beauty about two weeks ago. It now has a white mouth. What has happened and what can I do about it?

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I've always found Centropyge picky eaters - my bicolor didn't eat anything floating for a month and had to be QT'ed with a load of live rock so it didn't starve. Try smearing wet glake onto bits of rock or coral for it to pick at. CB's are relatively easy to feed in this way compared to some.

If it's mouth is white it indicates damage, and a fish that can't eat is a fish that dies. You can only hope to keep water conditions pristine in the hope it recovers before it starves, or move try treating with an antibiotic. I hope it's in QT??

axepilot

AC Members
Jan 10, 2005
I feed my flame angel Formula A, Spectrum pellets, Formula Food's Pygmy Angel, and Formula Food's Spirulina. I imagine your coral beauty's dietary needs will be about the same.

One trick that works exceedingly well for me on finnicky eaters is garlic. Crush a clove of garlic into a cup of tank water. Let it soak for an hour or so. drain the garlic, add the food, let it soak for another hour. Feed it to the fish and watch them go to town. Most fish LOVE garlic and it can spur an appettite in finnicky eaters. I feed garlic soaked food regularly.

davidwillis

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2010
I've always found Centropyge picky eaters - my bicolor didn't eat anything floating for a month and had to be QT'ed with a load of live rock so it didn't starve. Try smearing wet glake onto bits of rock or coral for it to pick at. CB's are relatively easy to feed in this way compared to some.

If it's mouth is white it indicates damage, and a fish that can't eat is a fish that dies. You can only hope to keep water conditions pristine in the hope it recovers before it starves, or move try treating with an antibiotic. I hope it's in QT??
Sorry, this is old, but I have been searching.... what is glake?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store