Lighting for anemone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ctheisen

Registered Member
Dec 30, 2002
Visit site
I have a 18000 K bulb emmiting light in the blue, green and yellow/orange spectrum. If anyone is familar with the product, it is called POWER-GLO. I had also bought a light called MARINE-GLO which emmitts 100% actinic blue. Unfortunately, my hood can only carry one. Would the former provide sufficient light for an anemone in an 18" deep tank or am I going to have to get a double strip hood?

In general, when determining such a thing, should I pay attention to light heat (Kelvin), the wavelength emmitted, or the wattage?

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Powerglo bulbs, while nice fluorescents, don't provide nearly enough intensity to support an anemone. You need to be looking at a custom PC, VHO, or metal halide setup if you want to keep an anemone alive longer than a few weeks.

In response to your second question, pay attention to the Kelvin value and the wattage. Wattage is useful for describing a quantity of light needed to keep something alive. For example, I typically wouldn't keep an anemone without somewhere in the neighborhood of 5-6 watts/gallon over the tank. (However, the whole watts/gallon system falls apart when talking about really small or really big tanks...it's just a useful estimator). The kelvin value tells you the "color" and wavelength of the bulb. Higher K bulbs tend to produce a more blue light, lower K bulbs produce a more yellow/green light. Low K bulbs (below 6500K) tend to strongly encourage algae growth, while higher K bulbs provide a more useful wavelength for the growth of certain corals, particularly SPS corals. Bulbs in the 10K neighborhood tend to produce a fairly neutral/white light that is a good compromise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store