Scooter Blenny

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trips

AC Members
Sep 12, 2004
Just got done buying my first fish. I did some research but obviously not enough because what I got is a Scooter Blenny. I was wanting to get a Lawnmower Blenny and stopped by the LFS frequently to see if they had some in. Well, yesterday I was there and they had finally gotten what was labeled and looked kind of like the LMB. I thought it looked a little different but with no picture there to compare and the guy there telling me it definetely was an LMB I got it. Soon as this little guy hit the sand he started eating every pod in site and hasn't stopped. Since I was pretty sure the LMB ate algae more I started comparing pics and sure enough he's a Scooter. Tanks only around three months old and the scooter and about 80 various snails are the only ocupants. Kinda worried I won't have enough of a food source established for him and if I shouldn't return him and try to find the LMB. What do all you guys and gals think?

Here's a pic of him too:

Last edited:

trips

AC Members
Sep 12, 2004
Just saw in the fish NOT for the beginer thread that the Scooter is about the same as the Mandarin as far as what is required. I'd really appreciate some advice on what you all think. Right now I'm thinking I might need to take him back.

trips

AC Members
Sep 12, 2004
Ok, how about this? If I do decide that I can keep him and can get him to eat something besides pods what are the chances he'll get along with a Lawnmower Blenny? It's my wife and oldest daughters job to pick out compatible fish, my only term was that I wanted an LMB. Still do.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Should be fine with an LMB, but make sure it will take prepared foods. Tehy are hit or miss with this, and if you don't actually see it go after the prepared food, assume it is NOT eating it and take it back. They take a very long time to starve to death, but that's what will happen if it won't eat--especially in smaller tanks with less live rock.

trips

AC Members
Sep 12, 2004
I've seen a place online were you can buy pods in a bottle. Fairly expensive but if I'm willing to spend the money is that a viable option to assure that the Scooter will live a full life? The bottles are sold for $75 for 2000 pods. How long will a supply that size last? This is assuming I can't get it to eat prepared foods. Hopefully that won't be the case.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
It's an option. The scooter will likely go through that amount in a month or less--but, if there's 'pod piles'--little stacks of small rocks where fish can't get in, the pods will reproduce more readily, extending them as a food source.

trips

AC Members
Sep 12, 2004
Thought I'd report back and let you know the scooter is loving the mysis. You weren't kidding about them cleaning out the pod population really fast. Before I got him they were easy to see just by taking a quick peek. Now, I really have to search to find any.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store