blue tang and butterfly fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chelebell81

AC Members
Dec 4, 2004
PA
I just had a problem with a butterfly fish I bought with my yellow tang. The yellow tang beat it up and really sliced its side up so I took the tang out, put it in a ziploc to give to a friend, and a few hours later it was dead. My question is, liveaquaria.com says tangs and butterflies get along....and I'm sure they do. I think it was just an issue of the two looking so much alike. My question is, now that I don't have a tang and my tank is all peaceful fish, would a blue tang work with the butterfly? It doesn't have the same shape as the butterfly, it's peaceful as compared to my aggressive yellow, and the liveaquaria page says it's "tolerable of other tangs, but may attack other large blue tangs". My entire tank would be with peaceful fish and the blue tang is the only non-agressive tang I've seen so far that works with the other fish in my tank. Not that it looks too much like a tang, but I do have a 5" blue chromis. I'm wondering if the tang would beat him up?

yellow tang live aquaria page (what caused problems)

blue tang live aquaria page

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store