"maintenance man" advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

csm84

AC Members
Nov 28, 2004
grand rapids, mi
i am plannning on filling my 40 gal tank with lots of friendly community fish and i am wondering what you guys think would be best for keeping the place clean. i'm thinking probably some barbs and some large tetras. let me know what yout think. thanks

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
the best at keeping a tank clean? you :)

you could consider a fish for eating algae if you have it in your tank but ultimately you are the best for controlling that because no fish can do waterchanges and vacume the gravel.

Archangel

Plecos, Plecos, everywhere
Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
Sorry, but SnakeIce is right. Fish don't eat poo and sludge. If you want something to eat up the excess food, then any type of catfish or loach will do, such as cory cats or yo-yo loaches. Assuming you'd be feeding them flakes, plecos wouldn't really work because you'd have to feed them specifically. If it's algea you want taken care of, then go w/ Otos. But I don't know how any of these fish do w/ barbs. I don't like barbs myself, so I have no experience w/ them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store