Aquarium Salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Randy

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Mississauga,Ontario,Canada
Visit site
Other then using it as a treatment is it good for anything else? Can small doses be added to prevent certain diseases? Is it OK to use for goldfish? This seems to be a topic of many different opinions. Who has experience with using Aquarium salt with goldfish?

Last edited:

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
I am not sure it actively Prevents disease to put salt in the tank, but I think it couldn't hurt. There is a small amount of naturally-occurring salt in all natural waterways, so it's only logical that adding electrolytes to the water is an okay thing to do.

I had never used salt in my goldfish tanks before my current setup. I started using it because of a fungal outbreak in this tank, and I liked the results (fish healed faster and seemed "perkier"). Other than being a STELLAR addition to your meds, I've not noticed a big difference either way, to tell you the truth...

I think it's a personal preference thing.

TJcanada

AC Members
Definately personal preference....

There's really no need to add imo, like PBQ states, salt occures naturally in water(yes that includes freshwater too) and maybe added by your water treatment company(unless of course you have well water - but test for salt anyways) - some goldfish just don't do well with salt at certain levels, you'll see it if their eye's start to bulge and they may get a milky look to their skin. If you do add salt, keeping it about 0.05 - 0.1 should be fine, but I suggest you test your source water(tap) before addition to obvserve it's salt content.
If you're keeping up with waterchanges/maintenance, or use a quarantine tank for new additions , then you really shouldn't have worries of infection(bacterial or parasite).

Just my thoughts......

Randy

AC Members
Jan 12, 2003
Mississauga,Ontario,Canada
Visit site
Thankyou both for your thoughts. I really enjoy keeping goldfish and only want to do whats best for them. I really dont have much experience with goldfish so getting information from those who do i am very grateful for. Sometimes i may sound a bit bitter in my posts, thats only because i get frustrated with some people telling u one thing while the next tells you something different. I much prefer just to get advice from those who actually keep goldfish which i know both of you do. Very nice web site u have there TJCANADA. Enjoyed reading it and looking at the pics.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
No apologies are necessary for the occasional "accidental" flame spurts... I have them too from time to time.... Getting all sorts of conflicting information can be frustrating. Most of the folks around here have a general consensus on things that are good/bad in the world of fishkeeping, but we all have different views on what constitutes great advice (and horrible advice...). It's a matter of degree, and you always have to ultimately use your own judgement. I have the policy of "do as I say, not as I do", because most of the time, my setups are far from ideal.... (by the way, don't look at my tank specs, you'll never trust my advice again....:D)

We all want what's best for our pets. Give the salt a try...if you don't like the results, you can always dilute it back out gradually with water changes....there are very few mistakes in this hobby that can't be corrected given enough time, money, and effort (and the unfortunate occasional fish loss...)

Have fun with it!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store