blue ribbon eels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

opie

AC Members
Dec 28, 2001
Illinois
Visit site
I have been thinking about getting a blue ribbon eel. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one. I have been told that they are difficult to keep. I am just looking for some advice before I decide what to do. Thanks for any input in advance!:)

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
99.9% die very shortly after purchase. There's no reliable way to keep these fish alive in captivity and they should be avoided altogether. Sorry to disappoint; I know they look cool, but even advanced aquarists can't reliably keep them going.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I have heard that if one wants any success at all with a Ribbon, they must start with a Black. Since Blacks are the juvie phase they are more likely to adapt. I once heard from an old co-worker that they ordered one and got it to feed. Unfortunatly their rock wasn't stable and two days later it died when rocks fell on top of it. If this is your first attempt with SW Morays definetly stay away from Ribbons. The one "Ribbon" I can suggest is P. brummeri. Is somewhat closely related to the Ribbon but readily feeds in captivity. I have one that is 2 1/2 feet long. For starter morays, they would have to be the Snowflake, Chainlink, and Zebra. In my opinion Zebras shouldn't be kept in smaller tanks than a 125 when adults. I know Scott Michael recommends 55 as minimum but a 4 ft eel in a 4ft tank doesn't seem right! I have a 3 footer in my 209G. I also have an 18 inch Snowflake in my 55 Gallon. The questions above will help us a lot to help you.

opie

AC Members
Dec 28, 2001
Illinois
Visit site
The eel would be going into my 90. The tank is stocked with the following: yellow tang, sailfin tang, a 4 inch long twin spot coris, algae blenny, scooter blenny, and a fire goby. Believe it or not the tangs get along great. I almost forgot the squarespot anthias, but he is going to a new home this weekend. I also have a 30 with a harlequin shrimp and a coral beauty in it. I hope this is enough info. Thanks for the input!

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I think your tank is kinda stocked as it is. It may not look stocked now, but it will probably be a bit crammed when the fish start growing. Like right now in the 209 that is going on 3 months has a baby Niger Trigger, Imperator Angel, Clown Grouper, and will be getting a Clown Tang (oh, forgot about the Zebra!), it doesn't look stocked now but will be overcrowded when the fish are adults. Luckily I have some tanks to spare! I also wouldn't trust an eel with a Blenny, Goby, or Dragonette. One of my friends had a Snowflake and had a Steintz goby in with it. Needless to say no more Steintz.

opie

AC Members
Dec 28, 2001
Illinois
Visit site
Thanks Mono I appreciate the input! I also have a 55 and 75 that I will be turning into saltwater tanks in a few months any suggestions for them.

a_free_bird73

AC Members
Jun 13, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
My first encounter with ribbon eels was very distressing. I was visiting the local aquarium shop on my normal weekly visit and he had just recieved a batch. In the same tank he had a ribbon eel and couple of other eel types (can't remember the name).

It was feeding time, frozen fish meal. The ribbon eel was fighting with the other eel for a bite and won the fight. The other eel responded by attacking him and almost bit his head off. It took 15 mintues of batteling for the shop keeper to pull the ribbon eel out of the others mouth. It later died from injuries..

It was interesting to watch, but it was not a pretty site... Lovely creature though

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store