did my Damsel just lay eggs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VDub90

AC Members
Oct 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I have 2 yellowtail damsels (really dark blue kind no the bright blue). the "big one" is about 3 inches, and the "small one" is about 1.5 inches. They both stay on opposite sides of the tank. And the "big one" stays in it's cave, and only comes out to eat and chase the other one. It protects it's cave pretty good. Now today the small one was in the cave with the big one and were swimming around in a little ball, swimming upside down, and rubbing there under bellies on the roof of the cave. Now on the cave walls there's thousands of these tiny black and white things, are these eggs? I have included a picture I just took, but It's the best I could do. What should I

Dewey115

AC Members
May 15, 2004
Omaha, NE
Visit site
You are talking about that gray area under the damsel and a little to the left correct? It looks alot like eggs to me, and it definately sounds like they were laying eggs (sounds just like what my clowns do when they lay eggs).

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yep--looks like eggs. Some to the left of the damsel, as well as on the 'ceiling' of the cave. You'll likely find more info by searching on breeding clownfish--they ar both damsels and the technique will be similar for both. It won't be easy though--the eggs will hatch into a floating planktonic larvae, which drift around in the current for a while before morphing into a 'fish'. The larvae are tough to keep alive--they tend to be eaten by filter feeders and power heads/pumps.

VDub90

AC Members
Oct 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
I'm not to interested at this point in having them hatch, I was going to give the fish away anyway, to make room for some nicer fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store