Hard water plants for biotope

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SpankyPlants

AC Members
Nov 27, 2004
OK. New thread. :D

My 10gal is slowly but surely transforming into an asian swamp biotope. So far, the only plant in it is my lotus that I rescued from my clown loach in my other tank. I don't know if the lotus is asian, but the betta likes it.

Since my water is way hard and I don't want to add all kinds of stuff to it to try and make it softer, I figure I'll just go with hard water plants. So far, my list is thus:

Hygrophilia
Cryptocrene
Aponogenton

I figure any type of each plant will work. I'm also going to toss in a java fern or two. My question is, does anyone know of any more hard water, asian swampy plants? I have a lot of light over the tank (3.6wpg), I use ferts, and the substrate is Fluorite. I keep forgetting a CO2 diffuser, but I will get one soon! The temp is usually about 80 degrees. Any suggestions? :)

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
If you want to soften the water, an ion-exchange resin bag will do it pretty well and cheaply, just soak the bag in salt water to recharge it. Java moss will grow in anything, the stuff is slowly taking over my african cichlid tank, pH is 8+, and I add epsom salt, instant ocean mix, and baking soda to my tap water to buffer it for the fish.

SpankyPlants

AC Members
Nov 27, 2004
I decided on pretty much making it a crypt tank with some hairgrass as a carpet and some wisteria and rotala indica in the back to hide the equipment. I transferred a java fern from my 46-gal to this tank for the bogwood (it looked so empty). I tossed some aponogenton bulbs in there (saw them at Wal-mart for like 3 bucks, thought I'd give them a whirl) but they haven't grown yet so... meh. By the time the crypts, wisteria, and rotala get here, they should have sprouted if they're good. So we'll see. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store