Rockfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
At my LFS they had a fish in the same tank as the green spotted puffer. if anyone can tell me anything about this fish please do because I couldn't find any decent information on it around the net because all species are HUGE gamefish. The one I saw in the store was gray and about 1 1/2 inches in length, but looks generally like all the pictures I looked at of other "larger" rockfish.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
The fish I saw LOOKS like a rockfish but it's only 1 1/2 inches long, they've been there for about 3 months. I don't think they're getting any bigger. If this helps, their movement is similiar to a goby, staying only at most 2 inches from the bottom. Generally though the pictures you sent match what I saw. I just would like to know whether it's a brackish fish or full marine. Most rockfish I'm aware are full marine as we've got plenty off the BC coast.

Javelin

AC Members
Oct 19, 2001
Falls Church, VA
www.GUIcheese.com
Sounds like a butterfly goby. I've got 3 of them. 1 1/2 inches is pretty much full size. They prefer live food, such as brine shrimp, but seem to be ok without it (I've never seen them go after flake food though). They have poisonous spines in their dorsal fin, so be careful when handling them. They seem to be pretty easy to take care of, and they're not agressive at all... Actually, they really like to try to hunt down ghost shrimp, but usually can't kill them.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Vespicula depressifrons
Leaf goblinfish

Vespicula depressifrons (Richardson, 1848)
Family: Tetrarogidae (Wasp fishes)
Order: Scorpaeniformes
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
FishBase name: Leaf goblinfish
Max. size: 10.0 cm TL (male/unsexed; Ref. 7050)
Environment: demersal; freshwater; brackish; marine
Climate: tropical; 22 - 28°C
Importance: fisheries: of no interest
Distribution:
Gazetteer Indo-West Pacific: Indonesia, New Guinea, and the Philippines. Reports from Japan are erroneous.
Diagnosis: Dorsal spines (total): 13-14; Anal spines: 3-3. Body notably compressed. Orbit 9 - 10% SL. Dorsal soft rays 6.5-7.5; anal 4.5 (usually) to 5.5 (Ref. 39597).
Biology: Possesses venom glands at the base of some of the spines (Ref. 6192). Of no commercial interest but appear from time to time in the aquarium trade (Ref. 39597).
Red List Status: Not in IUCN Red List , (Ref. 36508)
Dangerous: venomous

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store