Mixing CLownfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Particleman

AC Members
Oct 23, 2004
Irvine, CA
Currently have one False Percula Clownfish, was wanting to add an additional Clown but I know that can be tricky. Does the new clown have to be the same type/color or would an entirely different type of clownfish work?

55 Gallon, FOWLR
Thanks

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I'd go for the same sort of clown or you will most likely have some MAJOR issues. Even when they are are the same type they will take a while before they decide that they aren't going to kill each other. I'd try to get one of the oposite sex or one of undetermined sex to put with yours. If it's been alone for a while it's a girl or well on it's way to being a girl. If you can find a young one it probably hasn't sexed yet and will become a boy. I'd still keep it in a clear critter keeper or something though until the resident clowns aggression level subsides a bit. Also if you have an anemone that your current clown lives in it will take it a bit longer to chill out.
hth
Chris

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I agree with chris, you should get the smallest clown (SAME SPECIES) you can find, this way if they do start to get along you won't have two females fighting, depending on how long the clown you have now has been in the tank, it's a female and you wouldn't want to buy another large clown... I did that with maroons and they went at it. Safer going with a small one, they can hide easier too if they are scared, maybe eventually you'll have a mated pair, which wouldn't be too possible with different species :)

FL Knifemaker

Arming the Free World
Oct 20, 2004
Central FL
My experiance is that even if they get along at first, things can change. I introduce mine to the tank at the same time when they were both smaller. They got along fine. Now the Bicintus has turned into a dominating pain in the but with the Clarkii. They are still about the same size. I have 3 anemones and the Bicintus feels he OWNS all 3 :rolleyes: He even bothers my domino that's grown to be bigger than he is. He's gotten to the point were he's about to get a one way trip back to the LFS!!!

gje

AC Members
Nov 23, 2004
so exactly how old are clownfish when they become different sexes cause im about to pick two up in the week which i think are under a month old so would these still be un-sexed...

drho2222

AC Members
Dec 8, 2004
i had the same question about two weeks ago when i added a false true perc. to my tank that already had one in it. luckily the one in my tank was bigger and within hours established itself as the dominant female and now, they both get along fine and im lookin forward to having little clowns swimmin around in a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store