Who's Eating my Ghost Shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AntmanMike

K?nig der Schmerlen
Mar 8, 2003
Chicago
stackheap.com
A while back, when my tank only had the following:

2 Pakistani Loaches
2 Ottos
2 Flying Foxes

I also had about 4 Ghost Shrimp in the tank. After one week, one of them disappeared, to who-knows-where. The other three did fairly well, they were growing quite large, and had reddish beads on their antennae.

Unfortunately, one day, I wake up to see a Pakistani feeding on the corpse of one of them. Not just the shell, the corpse. I don't know if he killed it, but I have my suspicisions...

Within a week, I no longer saw any shrimp in my tank.

About 2 weeks later, I returned to the LFS (Pet Paradise - Deep Reef Aquatics) and bought 4 Rosey Barbs, a few more Swordplants, and 6 Shrimp.

Two shrimp died in the bag, from some kind of roundworm. I took about an hour to separate the healthy shrimp from the dead shrimp/roundworms.

When I planted the first swordplant, I saw a small, baby ghost shrimp running around. I am fairly confident it is dead now, also.

When I added the Barbs and the Shrimp, I was able to see the shrimp for most of the time, up until one week later. in which they disappeared also.

Right now, this is the stocking of the 29 gall:

Flora:
2 Red Swords
5 Swordplants
3 tall plants I cannot identify
4 plants that seem to split apart and grow... particularly around the filter intake

Fauna:
2 Otos
1 Flying Fox
2 Pakistani Loaches
2 Clown Loaches

I must know -- what is happening to the shrimp?

AntmanMike

K?nig der Schmerlen
Mar 8, 2003
Chicago
stackheap.com
The Clowns were added after the shrimp disappeared.

labont865

This is drako, a friend of a friend
Nov 26, 2004
Any type of loach will chow on you shrimp, but you could also check inside your filter as they can sometimes make their way inside.

AntmanMike

K?nig der Schmerlen
Mar 8, 2003
Chicago
stackheap.com
Well, any way to keep the Pakistanis (or the new Clowns) from making snacks of the shrimp? They ARE well fed... plus, the Pakis co-existed with the shrimp for over a month before they started disappearing rapidly...

AntmanMike

K?nig der Schmerlen
Mar 8, 2003
Chicago
stackheap.com
I was taking some photographs, and I cought a glimpse of a live shrimp. There was no way my camera could capture it though. Once I finish compressing the JPGs and uploading them, I will show you guys.

Also, I forgot, there is an upside-down catfish in the tank.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Shrimp are a natural part of most loaches diet--there's really no way to prevent them from snacking on them. Sometimes they may survive a while, but you will be constantly replacing them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store