Live Rock/Sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
No way Jose. Not unless it was rock from an estuary that enjoyed the constantly changing salinity. Same goes with the live sand. What you will find 99% of the time is LS and LR that requires a SG of about 1.026. A far cry from 1.010 or there about.

I think many of us would have already had LR and LS in our Bracks if that were the case.

Actually, with all of the algea growth in my tank I would say the whole tank is live!!! :D

I just read the info on the link and I would have to reiterate, the LR would have to come from an estuary. I don't believe any critters/algae on marine LR would make it in brackish water.

Last edited:

yshurtleff

AC Members
Dec 31, 2002
idaho
Visit site
actually you can.I have live rock and live sand in my brackish if my scats every let the stuff grow or should I say after I bring it home with the long green vines they eat it instantly...anyway I run a 1.021 so its very heavy but my puffers enjoy it so does my orange cromide and of course the scats,and the turbo snail...good luck...:D

Shikkapow

Confused Member
Dec 12, 2002
Virginia Beach, Va
Visit site
Turbo snails are Brackisk????!!!??

I neeed algae eaters that are too big for the puff to snack on

I never even considered live rock in my tank but that would be nice to have if it would work i usually run my tank light around .006

yshurtleff

AC Members
Dec 31, 2002
idaho
Visit site
no turbo snails are salt but I through one in to help clean the algea and he has very well ... but remember I run a 1.021 so its only .003 away from being salt but it is still brackish

Uhhm....actually, I believe anything above 1.019 is full marine. The LFSs around here run their tanks at 1.019 and 1.024 and above for the LR and corals.

I read something funny today but unfortunately I forgot what sight it came from. The author stated that knight gobies were brackish, but that's not the funny part. He did however give it a totally different name. But that wasn't the funny part either. He stated that knight gobies are bottom dwellers :eek: (not mine.)He then preceded to say that adding 1 (yes ONE) tablespoon (yes again TABLESPOON!!) of salt to 5 gallons of water was to be deemed brackish! :eek: WOW!!!! Now I gotta sit here and wonder which one of you is pulling my leg. :D

But, yshurtleff, your live rock would do much better if you got rid of the scats and puffers. LOL!!! I guess that means get different fish.

olaf

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
Visit site
Perfect live sand for a brackish tank would be from a intercoastal water way (near a river mouth that empties into the ocean). North Carolina to Florida to Texas. There are a bunch of brackish water ways that empty into the ocean. There you would get the right animals for the invironment.

I was wondering about that nasty little shellfish the zebra mussel. I only thing I think could be bad is the mussels getting into the filtration. Other than that they filter the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store