Ideal Newbie Setup?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Hi there! I'm a first time poster here, but have been reading voraciously since yesterday evening. What a great site, and thanks for taking the time to help me. A wee bit of background: I'm not entirely a newbie, but my tank experience is limited to a 10g FW tropical tank that I kept for ~4 years and another that I kept simultaneously for ~2 years. The bad news is that was more than a decade ago (ew, I just dated myself terribly).

So, in light of that I have a son now who is fascinated with fish and a wife who actually suggested we get a tank started in our living room (I know, some of you fellows are envious!) Now the conundrum, where do I start?

I know I want at least a 29g tank and perhaps some 10g tanks as fry/quarantine tanks. I have a custom built stand already that is capable of holding two tens side by side on three shelves (I kept venomous snakes before we had children) so a stand is already in place. I could also spring for a new stand if I wanted to expand.

When I had tanks before, I simply had undergravel filters with those pumps that blew bubbles, a thermometer, tank hood with light, plastic plants, some cool rocks with hiding holes and a heater. I didn't have Bio-Wheels, Power Heads etc. I kept neon tetras, an African Butterfly cichlid, a pair of guppies and an angelfish. I suppose luck played into it back then, because the fish seemed to thrive and I wasn't very educated and there was certainly no internet. My interest waned when I reached High School and extracuricular activities began to dominate my time, so as my fish passed away, I simply didn't replace them.

So, my main questions are:

1. Is the bio-wheel and power head setup the "only" way to go these days? For a fry/quarantine type 10g tank would undergravel and pump filtration be sufficient?

2. How difficult are live plants and what sort of maintenance do they require? Are there good beginner plants?

3. I know for a fact that I want a number of neon tetras, what sort of other (maybe bigger?) fish are complimentary to them and would work well in a 29g FW? It appears from my reading that mollies and guppies would really rather like a bit of brackish water, so I don't think the neons would appreciate that.

4. If I went with a 55g tank instead am I looking at a whole lot more maintenance, and also, what is the approximate difference in price between a 29g and 55g to start up? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and then have the poor fish suffer because I misjudged my budget for this. Keep in mind, I basically need everything; aquarium, hood, lights, fish, plants, rocks, wood, substrate, filtration, pumps, hose, net, water testing supplies, food, thermometer and heater (am I forgetting anything?)

5. Can anyone suggest a good online source for aquariums and supplies? We do have a couple of stores locally that have fish and supplies, but I do want to shop around.

6. Does anyone have a site that lists suggested FW set-ups and approximate costs just so I can toss some figures at the wife?

I already know I want to go with fishless cycling (that's really brilliant!) but I am just havnig questions about the undergravel "bubble" type thing vs power heads and such. Oh, and if I were to start with the former, how difficult is it to switch to a bio-wheel and powerhead or all of that? Whew! So many questions, I know, but thanks for your input.

By the way, if you simply agree with what someone says, please say so, I'm looking for as many opinions as I can get, including ditto. Thanks!

russjet

AC Members
Oct 25, 2004
greenwich london uk
firstly tank size the bigger the better you will have more choice of fish and will probably want to get a bigger one later if you dont

try this site for good fish to go with neons i got my list there and i built my tank around my neons
it doesnt list cost but does include tank size and other stuff like that

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/c106community1.htm

i have a fluval 4plus canister filter and it works great for me

any size tank is ok if you get yourself a python to help you with your waterchanges

that is as far as i can help you with your questions

hope this helps

juliette

and welcome to the forum too :D

MikeO

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mikeoconnor.net
I use to keep fish too, and just getting back into it now, so like you I am in the same position with my knowledge being rusty, hence I been posting in the newbie area too.
I will probably get some smack down here what I am going to say about the bio-wheel, but here goes

1) I have put both a UG filter and an overflow filter in, I never had luck with the bio-wheel filters in the past, they just would get stuck and stop spinning, so I personally would not waste the money on one.
2) Don’t know on plants, I also am new to the plants area, good luck with those, mine seem to be starting to take to the tank, still no fish but they will get there soon (I hope soon, I would like to have fish in there before 2005, but I fear I might have to want a bit longer)

I am doing the fishless cycle now, I have a friend that said he would do it but not trust it and suggested adding 2 fish at a time, I am not sure which way I want to go, The first time I set up a tank I was in middle school (12 years ago) and did no setup, at that time I did not know all the stuff I know now (I got lucky then I had no problems and did not loss fish, but I will *not* trust luck this time) I am tempted to get all the fish I want after the fishless cycle is finished.

My oldest fish I ever had was a Red Eye Tetra (I got them to live about 5 to 6 years normally, but not 100% sure since I don’t know how old they were when I got them) who lived to be 7 (I do know this one was 7 since it was born in my tank, the only one that ever survived their parents eating them)

Also this is the first time I ever checked for ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates (never heard of testing this stuff till I found this site last week. All I did before was pH)

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Go with a 55g if you can afford it. The amount of maintenance will be roughly the same but if you decide at some point to add more light for plants, then you've got a tank that fits a standard 4ft bulb.

Try www.bigalsonline.com for supplies, I've used the Canadian version for dry goods (apparently the american one has fish?), but the american version is much cheaper than the Canadian one, even after exchange!

You'll definitely want a "Python" for water changes, it's a positively brilliant invention!

Go cannister filter if you can afford it, if not, Aquaclear is a great filter. There's a thread around here on HOB (hang on back) filters that would be worth reading and may help you decide.

No, biowheels aren't necessary, but unplanted tank folks seem to swear by them. I've heard that they're noisy though, which is a deal breaker for me. That's the same dif. between powerhead and airpump driven UGF's (undergravel filters) is noise, air driven is noisy.

I dunno about setup prices though, you could check big als, but I'd imagine that shipping would be a killer! Walmart has some pretty inexpensive tanks, and if you were going tank only and adding your own filter and heater then you wouldn't really be sacrificing quality either.

Indigo

weeeeee
Sep 20, 2004
BC, Canada
Harlock said:
1. Is the bio-wheel and power head setup the "only" way to go these days? For a fry/quarantine type 10g tank would undergravel and pump filtration be sufficient?
for a fry tank, a simple sponge filter would work well. You can make your own (There's a link to instructions how to build one somewhere around here) fairly easily, or pick one up. For a 29g, a HOB filter like an AquaClear or Penguin or a cannister would work just fine. HOBs are comparitively cheapter. Both have their pros and cons.

Harlock said:
2. How difficult are live plants and what sort of maintenance do they require? Are there good beginner plants?
There are LOTS of hard to kill east beginner plants. Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Crypts all do well, even in fairly lowlight tanks. Check out www.plantgeek.com, then go to plant guide, and you can look at more plants than you can shake a stick at. Basically you can have plants for just about any setup. You can make it complicated with adding ferts, CO2, etc, or keep it simple with easy plants.

Harlock said:
3. I know for a fact that I want a number of neon tetras, what sort of other (maybe bigger?) fish are complimentary to them and would work well in a 29g FW? It appears from my reading that mollies and guppies would really rather like a bit of brackish water, so I don't think the neons would appreciate that.
My fish compatibility skills sorta suck so I'll just leave this... dwarf gouramis, a male betta, small pleco, otos, other tetras, rasboras, corys should live happily with neons.

Harlock said:
4. If I went with a 55g tank instead am I looking at a whole lot more maintenance, and also, what is the approximate difference in price between a 29g and 55g to start up? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and then have the poor fish suffer because I misjudged my budget for this. Keep in mind, I basically need everything; aquarium, hood, lights, fish, plants, rocks, wood, substrate, filtration, pumps, hose, net, water testing supplies, food, thermometer and heater (am I forgetting anything?)
I don't think a 55g would be more maintenance, perhaps larger volumes of water changes. Its harder to make bad mistakes in a bigger tank. An ammonia spike that would be lethal in a small tank would be barely noticed in a big tank, because of the amount of water diluting pollutants. Also the smaller the tank, the less options you have with stocking.

Harlock said:
5. Can anyone suggest a good online source for aquariums and supplies? We do have a couple of stores locally that have fish and supplies, but I do want to shop around.
uhhh I really only know Canadian sites www.mops.ca and www.jlaquatics.com

Harlock said:
6. Does anyone have a site that lists suggested FW set-ups and approximate costs just so I can toss some figures at the wife?
I can tell you what I've spent, it'll be in Canadian dollars though -
25g tank kit - came with tank, hood with 20w light, some plastic plants, stick on thermometer, HOB Aquaclear 200 with sponge and carbon, crappy hang-on heater, water conditioner, general range pH kit, net - grand total $197 plus taxes.

aquarium gravel - roughly 25 lbs for $60+ can't quite remember, but I'm not using it all either.

bought some more fake plants, rock, log from walmart - $20

test kits - got the hagen master kit with NH3, NO2, gH, kH, 2 ranges of pH for roughly $45, then bought NO3 for $12 later on.

bought real plants - bought a couple clumps of java moss, 3 clumps of some sort of sword, ambulia of some sort, anubias, water sprite (i think) = $30ish

fish - no clue anymore what they cost - $60ish total?

upgraded heater to a submersible ebo-jager - $35 plus shipping.

other misc. stuff - 2 2g buckets + gravel vac from walmart = $15

food - no clue any more lol

So um yeah, I'll just stop there... hope this helps a little

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Welcome to the board!

1.) Bio-wheels work fine, but they are not the only way to go. Some people like them, some people are neutral, some people don't like them. Although they are effective at what they do, I don't use them. If you want a HOB filter take a look at the Aquaclear line of HOB (hang on back) filters. They are a good, and cost effective filter.
Although I don't use Underground filters (UGFs) anymore, I still think that are still quite effective at their job. Though a few people will tell you that they are outdated, I still think they have a place in this hobby. UGFs just require a little bit more maintanence on the user's part (ie. more good gravel vacs) to prevent crude buildup under the UGF plates. Also do a bit of research on Reverse Underground Filters (RUGFs). IMHO, RUGFs are better than UGFs.
Also look at canister filters. A few brands that come to mind are Eheim, Filstar and Fluvals. I've had good experiences with all these brands. They provide a lot of space of biological filtration media... though they do lack somewhat in the area of mechanical filtration. A pre-filter over the intake of the canister would do wonders in terms of extending the time period between canister maintanence.

I would personally put multiple filters on any tank larger than 20 gallons. For a 29 gallon tank, I would probably go with:
2 x Aquaclear (AC) 150s or,
1 x AC 150 and a small canister
etc.
Having multiple small filters (rather than one big one) gives you a failsafe in case one filter breaks down. By rotating your filter cleanings between your filters you also minimize the small chance of accidently killing your bacterial colonies when you clean out a filter. BTW, depending on fish load and equipment, you generally want a filtration rate of around 10x your tank volumn. Forget the tank ratings on the side of those boxes, they don't mean much.

2.) Live plants are not difficult to keep if you do it correctly from the beginning. Doing it incorrectly can lead to algae blooms, and lots of hair pulling (both the algae and the top of your head type :D ). I would suggest browsing through the plant forum for starting advice. There are quite a few posts in there with some very decent advice.

3.) Seeing how nearly all mollies and guppies available nowadays are tank raised, they don't really need brackish water. I've raised mollies and guppies in my FW tanks with no salt, and they all bred like crazy.
I can't really suggest a fish for your tank as its all personal preference. I suggest you go onto online fish stores, fish profile sites, your LFS, etc. and see what you like. Make a note of it, and get back to us and we can tell you whether or not the fish will work for your tank.

4.) Maintanence on a 55 gallon tank shouldn't be any more complex than a 29g. It will take a few more minutes because of the extra water volumn, and the extra gravel vacuuming, but it shouldn't be too noticable. Since a 55g tank is more or less double that of 29g, just take all the equipment from a 29g tank and double it. Double the heating, filtration, etc. That should give you a good general idea on how much a 55g will cost you equipment wise. If you can do it, I would go with the 55g. It will give you a heck of a lot more flexibility than a 29g, and could save you from some mistakes (ie. accidently feeding too much). It also allows you to stock more/larger fish than a 29g would allow.

5.) Unless you are building a custom tank, I would go locally for a tank. Try www.bigalsonline.com for dry goods, there are also a few other online vendors around (though quite a few of them cater to saltwater setups, they do have equipment that will work quite well with freshwater setups).

6.) I don't have any figures I can toss at you. I think you're better off checking out the prices online and putting together a rough estimate that way.

The bubble thing you are referring to is call an air lift. If you go this route, it wouldn't be difficult at all to switch to powerheads at a future date. However, I advise against this course of action. Powerheads aren't that expensive, I would go with powerheads right from the beginning.

HTH
-Rich

Last edited:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Great input folks! Keep it coming. This is invaluable for me and I promise your time is not being wasted as I am reading and mulling it all over. And thanks to everyone that is taking the time to explain the acronyms. HOB, etc. I'm able to translate more posts now in other threads!

Last edited:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Well, I went to the LFS this morning and first of all, I have to say, they overcharge. Heh, there's news, I know, but seriously, the master test kit at Big Al's online for $34.99 is $99.99 in my LFS. That's a big frelling difference. Anyway, I did check out some tanks and power filters and I had some questions along those lines.

First of all, I know I want to do a fishless cycle and while reading the Penguin Biowheel Powerfilter box it said the biowheel kills ammonia and nitrites on contact... won't that sort of be counter-productive to cycling? Also, to any advocates of biowheels, why are they better than an Aquacler powerfilter? How often must one replace a biowheel... ballpark it.

They had some aquatic plants that looked spiffy. And, I had to go and look at fish. Now I am torn. Instead of a 29 I really think I'll be going with a 55 gallon aquarium at this point because I can afford it and the benefits of a bigger tank are just too neat to pass up. Would 2-3 dwarf flame gouramis go well with 5-6 bleeding heart Tetras, 5-6 Coryadoras and 5-6 rosy barbs? Would that be an overstocked tank? If not could I get away with a trio of Lyretails in that? I know I want an active commnuity tank so I am looking for opinions.

Also, I'm liking Richer's ideas on redundancy. Makes a lot of sense to me. So, with a 55g I was thinking 2 Aquaclear 300 filters would be up to snuff. I'd also use two thermometers, if that sounds decent... that way if one malfunctions or quits, I still have another one on the other side of the tank. Oh, or are fish like reptiles and like to thermoregulate? Meaning, would fish prefer one heat source then enjoy the gradual cooling gradient away from said heat source? In that case, I may buy two smaller thermometers and keep them on the same side of the tank. I'll add more questions to this thread as I think of them.

Actually, this thread could turn out to be rather funny if I sort of journal being a newbie and jumping right in. Thanks for reading and for helping answer my questions.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Sounds like you're on the right track!

Your proposed stock looks good. You could probalby add the lyretails as well and not be overstocked, but then I probably wouldn't because I like to stock on the light side, it's better for the fish, easier on maintenance and algae fighting/nutrient control. But then, my biggest tank is a 33g (it was as big a tank as I could afford/convince the wife to let me get, at the time ;) ), so I don't really have a good feel for a 55g tank.

Two filters at either end is great. I don't know the rating on the AC300, but my AC200 thinks that it's good enough for a 50g, so I'd guess that 2 AC300's would be just about perfect.

The biowheel's "killing ammonia on contact" line is just marketing, the way that it "kills" the ammonia is by providing ideal conditions for bacterial growth.

Go with 2 heaters whose combined wattage is sufficient for the tank and place them at either end, you want constant temp. through the tank. The idea with the double heater setup is that both together are enough to heat the tank, if one fails "on" it's not strong enough to boil you fish, but if one fails "off" you've still got a little wiggle room to get a new heater. Buy a good heater: Tronic, Ebo Jager are good names, they don't cost much more than the cheap ones and are far more reliable. Go fully submersable so that you can hide it better, besides, heat rises.

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Excellent, my master plan is coming to fruition. It's not an evil master plan mind you... Anyhow, here's another question:

I live in West Texas. We're classified as a succulent desert, which means it gets darn hot in the summer. I do have central air conditioning, so in the summer I don't expect the area where the tank would be to go above 80-81 degress farenheit. Would that be a problem and if so, how on earth does one cool off 55 gallons of water efficiently and without a lot of cost?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store