Time to play: Identify The White Stuff! :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

zar

AC Members
Nov 22, 2004
Maybe this is more "anxious parent" stuff. I dunno. Those of you who like challenges might be able to tell me...

Background: I am cycling my tank with Live Rock in it. Things have been progressing well (despite low pH -- see my other thread) to date. I have been running my powerhead while the tank cycles at the suggestion of people here and my LFS expert. Yesterday, for grins, I turned off the powerhead all day. It had been off about 10 hours when I came home. I turned on the lights and wow! -- it was like someone had gone in the tank and painted it! There's all this white stuff on the rock, and some between the rock and sand. Almost like spider webs, since they actually span distances (for example, between two rocks). The material is very thin (almost transparent), often has buggies zipping around under it, and clearly is more than just my imagination. :)

I also noticed HUGE amounts of little white critters everywhere. About the size of a pinhead, and they scatter and jump all around. They hang out mostly on the rock and glass now. A couple transparent super-small shrimp looking guys, and a few tiny potato bug looking guys.

After taking the pictures below, I turned back on the powerhead and this white stuff vanished as if someone had blown smoke into the tank -- it just pulled off the rocks and dissipated.

Can anyone tell me what this stuff is?

In the pictures below, the white stuff is inside the circled areas. It's kind of hard to see, since the pictures aren't 3D, but you can get the idea. Sorry for the size of the pictures -- I was going to clarity, not small size.

Anyone?

thanks,
bruce

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
I'm not positive. The pics are too blurry but your white stuff might be some type of filter feeder. Good for your tank. That little brown thing you have circled looks like it could be aptasia. Bad for your tank. I couldn't tell about your white bugs. If they move they are probably pods which is good. If they don't move, could be hydroids. Hydroids aren't necessarily bad just ugly. Bristleworms are cool.

zar

AC Members
Nov 22, 2004
skippy2 said:
I'm not positive. The pics are too blurry but your white stuff might be some type of filter feeder. Good for your tank. That little brown thing you have circled looks like it could be aptasia. Bad for your tank. I couldn't tell about your white bugs. If they move they are probably pods which is good. If they don't move, could be hydroids. Hydroids aren't necessarily bad just ugly. Bristleworms are cool.
Blurry? Blurry? Those pictures are crystal clear! That blurry-ness is what I'm talking about -- the milky white stuff that looks like smoke blown on the rock. That's the thing that needs identification...

As for the bugs, yeah, they move. A lot. :)

thanks,
bruce

gje

AC Members
Nov 23, 2004
hello not certain but i read a post on some forum about snails mating and thats what it looked like when the male releases his sperm the cloudy stuff but like i said not certain but hopfully someone with a lot of experince will be able to help u identify it looking nice as well your set up is...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Just a guess, but that looks very much like a sponge in it's early stage. I have several in my tanks--they will probably thicken up and turn a yellow-ish brown. Mine get the filmy, webby look when abused (ie, re-arrange the tank and pull the rocks they've glued together apart, expose them to air, etc). Usually takes a week or two for them to fill in completely.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store