HELP!! My puffers laid eggs!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
All I know is that the store calls them red-eyed puffers.
They are a light green color(when happy), with dark green to black spots on them, depending on mood. On the very top, just behind the head is a large dark spot.

Well, they laid eggs and eggs are fertilized. One puffer is guarding them (I'm assuming this is the male). Does anyone know how long gestation is?? Should the other puffer be removed from the tank?? And should the guarding puffer be removed after the fry is born??

Please help!!!!!

Sincerely,
Lila

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
it sounds to me like you've got green spotted puffers, red eye puffers are light to dark brown with "red eyes". Anyhow, lucky you to have had them spawn. Theres very little info on puffer spawning out there. Other than for dwarf puffers, hopefully for you someone out there has had some experience. Wish I could be more help.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Thanks,

I found a little info on the internet..though not for these particular puffers, but, hoping they are about the same habits.
The male is gaurding them. I'm thinking of removing the female for safety reasons.

I want to do a set up for freshly hatched brine shrimp for fry, do I need a tank for that, or will something else work?

The eggs should hatch in approx four to seven days. Guessing they were laid about three days ago.

I will let ya know how it goes.

Oh yeah, they do tend to turn a brown like color when they aren't happy. Infact...the male had turned pretty dark when he 'puffed' at the female, before we discovered the eggs.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
For her safety, remove the female. Otherwise she might be attacked and hurt.

I would remove the male as soon as the eggs get to the eyed stage (you should be able to see the individual eyes of the fry). The fry should be free swimming within 24 -36 hours of hatching, and ready for food. Brine shrimp nauplii would be fine. You cna raise these in a separate tank, or in a soda bottle. I would use a series of three tanks, so you can always have some hatching, and so you can heat the water (they hatch quicker at higher temps--82 is great). You should pick up some invert food, or use activated yeast to feed the brine.

If you can get microworms locally, those would work for the fry for a few days as well.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Oriongirl....

I'm not questioning you, but, I wasn't expecting this, so:

a couple sites I've read have said that the male will protect the fry also. I was thinking of removing him/them once they become free swimming.

Is there a good chance he will eat them.

We can already see 'black spots' in the eggs now.

Thanks for info on brineshrimp.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There isn't a big chance that he will eat them, but why risk it? If there isn't anything else in the tank that will eat them, the eggs will be fine on their own, and you will be safer when doing maintenance in the tank. I'm basing my advice on dwarf puffers, and they tend to be less aggressive than the green spotted ones.

You might want to look into covering your filter intake with a sponge as well--baby dwarf puffers tend to get sucked in to them (the curious little buggers follow a drifting bit of crud, right up to the intake). I lost several before I got smart.

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
Thanks Oriongirl...

We have a sponge filter in there now, and will be turning off the bigger ones.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Congrats! You have target puffers (t lerius) sp?. I suggest you post this question to pufferfish@yahoogroups.com. I believe there are some folks that have bred thes fish at that site. Good luck, Puffergranny! ;)

Originally posted by Pufferpunk
Congrats! You have target puffers (t lerius) sp?. I suggest you post this question to pufferfish@yahoogroups.com. I believe there are some folks that have bred thes fish at that site. Good luck, Puffergranny! ;)
Target puffers????

How big are these guys anyway?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store