New Cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

2ManyHobbies

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Hi guys, I am in the process of converting a once planted tank to a cichlid tank for simple labs. Current tank parameters are pH=7.2, KH=8, GH=1. What do I need to do to prepare this tank for cichlids? I am mostly concerned about the pH and GH. Any suggestions?

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
Yeah, I'm jealous, I wish I had neutral water.

Anyway, to answer your question, the easiest thing to do would be to use crushed coral or coral sand as the substrate. This should raise your PH to the 7.8 - 8.4 range. You can also use limestone or any other hard, calcerous rock for decorations. This should contribute to the high PH/hardness factor in the tank.

2ManyHobbies

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a coworker that has about 5 lab fry about 3/4" long that he is going to give me. I like the color overall and they are free!

qtaquaman

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
Buffering

As your water is near neutral you should purchace some malawi or marine buffer to raise the ph. Just using crushed coral will maintain the ph high but when you do a water change you'll regularly be adding near neutral water which may bother the fish until the substrate raises the waters ph.
Some cichlid lake salt or similar salt will help raise the hardness as will the raised ph via buffers and coral sand. Provide all kinds of territories/hiding place by piling up rock so theres all kind of nooks and crannies.

2ManyHobbies

AC Members
Dec 8, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a 29 gallon right now. Might be kinda small, but so are the fish.

As for the Marine buffer, good suggestion. Do you know if that is just some bicarbon/carbonate mixture? I am a DIY kinda guy and am always looking for a better (less expensive) was to do things. BTW I do have access to a fairly good source of chemicals. Anyone know what marine buffer is made of?

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
Use sodium bicarbonate- aka BAKING SODA! I use that to buffer new water going into the tank + shell and crushed coral in the substrate.

29 Would be okay for a couple labs long-term, i wouldnt do 4 though. Ideally bigger is better with africans. :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store