Paradise Fish Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SHANTY MAID

Registered Member
Dec 18, 2004
Paradise Fish

My Paradise Fish Has 2 White Specks On It's Pectrel Fin, Un Sure It To Being White Spot As Treatment Has Being Given For The Last 14days As Well As Salt Being Added.
Tempreture Running In Tank Is 76 Degrees, He Seems Well And Is Feeding But Were As There Was Only One Speck There A Couple Of Days Ago Now There Is 2. His Behavior Is Rubbing Along Side The Glass And Flicking, He Is Eating But Sometimes Goes To The Bottom Of The Tank Where His Colouration Changes, To Extremly Dark.
Never Had This Type Of Fish Before New To This Game But Love My Fish And Getting Quite Worried About This Because I Hate To Think Of Him Being In Distress,one Option Do I Turn My Temp Up To See If It Is White Spot. Hence The Parasite To Hatch Then To Treat Accordly.

Many Thanks For Your Kind Attention Just Please Help

tropicals

AC Members
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, turn up temp to 80F gradually. Is this the only fish in the tank? If not best treatment is to remove him to a 5 or 10 gallon hospital tank.

Other Considerations

Are there live plants in the tank? I only ask because you might need to remove them while treating fish. Some meds and salt can kill the plants. Give the gourami a clay pots to or cave to hold up in. Also you can allow plastic plants to float on top of water so that he feels protected somewhat from the harsh tank lights.

You can vacuum the gravel lightly every 3-4 days with out disterbing the gravel and this will hopefully suck up most of the newly hatched larva from the white cysts that you see on him. You need to keep this up until he is completely free of cysts for 2 weeks.

Bgolfer88

AC Members
Feb 17, 2010
Virginia
When posting with questions like this please include tank size, how long the tank has been running, stock, ammonia/nitrite/nitrate, pH, general maintenance schedule and anything else you can think of like has anything changed recently, etc. As much info as possible. Are the white spots on the 'rays' of the fins or on the webbing inbetween the rays? Pictures are always awesome. And what 'treatment' are you using?

I agree with bumping the temp up as well as the vacuuming thing and I would continue using the salt. You can even use 1.5 or 2 times the normal dose assuming nothing else in the tank would be negatively affected. If you are using a treatment you need to keep an eye on your nitrogen level as some med's can effect your cycle. Therefore you may treat the whole tank as you have been, set up a hospital tank which will be uncycled and need close monitoring, or use a dip treatment which varies depending on product used.

Anders247

IG-88 Invaders
Jun 10, 2014
Real Name
Anders
Yeah, bump up the temp. I had the same issue with my paradise fish..... They are quite aggressive, btw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store