Why is GH so high

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

moose1960

AC Members
Sep 8, 2002
Trenton, Ontario
Visit site
I do not quite understand Gh vs KH. I am using Hagen test kits and i find my GH is way off the scale. I do know that GH is total hardness measureing all the salts etc. But isnt this too high.
I was going to add some crushed coral to my sand for buffering but am afraid to now.

GH is at 48 drops or 960 mg/L Caco3 which eguals 48 hardness,2.688 dh,3.36 ClarkH

I had some shells in and dead coral but removed them a week ago and it still raised over the week by 16 drops.

My salinity is beween 1.004 and 1.006 using marine salt.

KH stays steady at 7 or 8 drops = 70-80 mg/L,
Ph is 7.6
ammo=0
Nitites=<.03
Nitrates= 10~20
all using Hagen kits

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don't know why your GH is so high but I am guessing that it is the salt because my GH measured 2040mg/l or 114.2dH as I was getting close to a specific gravity of 1.013.

Last edited:

moose1960

AC Members
Sep 8, 2002
Trenton, Ontario
Visit site
So like goldfish freak.Having high GH is normal in a brackish tank?
What is other peoples test results?

Sharyl C....ph has been dropping slighly, it was at 8 a few weeks ago. Any ideas on why when GH goes up PH is going down? Should I put the shells and coral back in?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
No, GH is calcium and magnesium ion only. It has no direct and required relationship to KH. pH and KH are related and linked in natural waters. GH has no direct link or relationship to pH.

You KH and pH are too low for BW.

Agree that dwarf puffers do not belong in BW, they are FW.

moose1960

AC Members
Sep 8, 2002
Trenton, Ontario
Visit site
Should I yransfer him right away into my FW tank or should I place him in a QT tank with same salinity and slowly bring it down. He is in 1.004 right now.
Here is a pic of when i got them. They were a gift and at first i was told they were figure eights then green spotted then finall after 3 weeks I was at the store my friend purchased them and they had them as dwarf. Here are 2 pics last one sorry for the size was taken on 10th nov

Last edited:

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That does not look like any dwarf puffer that I have seen. That looks exactly like a green spotted puffer. I have been to nearly every website on puffers on the net, and I have never seen a dwaft puffer look like that.Based on those photos I am certain that the fish were mislabeled.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store