New tank, old tank, moon sand, water main break... ?'s (just my luck)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neo Sithlord

Nerf Herder
Mar 20, 2004
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Visit site
Well managed to pick up my new tank about three weeks ago. I went online and ordered some moon sand for it, which came shortly after. After a really bad cold, a wedding, a graduation, Christmas shopping and little to no sleep I FINALLY manged to move my old tank over and setup the new one in it's place. Thanks in a huge part to a blizzard up here in the cheese state (couldn't go out of town to finish shopping :D ).
So after moving everthing arround I had to rince the moon sand ala advice here and a strong desire not to have discolored water. I took everything down to the tub sink in the laundry room so as not to get sand all over the bathtub upstairs and rinced... and rinced... AND @*(#$ RINCED, but the water was still kinda brownish. After alittle over an hour of that I gave up and figured the pipes were just alittle rusty since that sink hasn't been used in about a year and dumped it into the tank to a 2 inch depth. Then went into the bathroom to get some water from the bathtub to fill it up abit and hopefully water change the brown stuff out that was left in the sand. Now for the leason in futility... The water coming out of the tub was just as brown. Turns out after a call to the water co. that a main broke near my house and the water was contaminated by ground water. Which is of course BROWN due to all the iron in the ground water. So I have to wait a day or longer before I can have my new tank :sad .. BAH!
ANyways just ranting and hoping I can find a way to rerince the sand. How can I get it out of the tank now that it's in there? Or should I be safe just filling and draining the tank afew times or some thing like that? I don't know what I need to do LOL...
Atleast I have pictures to show off whilst I wait to fix this mess.

Old tank in the front is my 29 gallon that's moving entirely into the new 36 gallon corner in the... ermm corner there. Pardone the mess in the tank they're well... Moving... Hopefully sooner then later... Unfortunately the little filter I was going to use to fishless the new tank to be safe is in the closet behind the 29 and not accessable LOL. I can see it through the crack taunting me. Atleast I have anouther cheap filter and heater lost somewhere in the basement that will work in the mean time. That's what I call a brain fart.

This is the new tank you can see the water spots from the bad water and what settled out to be foggy water above the sand :sad Hope you can see why I think I need to clean this out and try again. It has a real strong clorine smell, and is a gray foggy mess. I'm going to add some declorinator after this just to be safe for now. Well that and it's about all I can do at this point. This is literally how lucky I get most of the time. So much for my Irish blood! :mad2
-Neo Sithlord

MikefromNH

AC Members
Nov 21, 2004
I'd use a Python, or some other siphon, and suck the sand and water out of your tank and into a 5 gal bucket. If you run out of water in the tank, just add more. You DO NOT want to try scooping that TM sand out of your tank. It will scratch it! Siphon it all out, keep dumping the water off the top as you fill the bucket. Re-rinse the sand and set aside.

If necessary, use white vinegar to rinse any water stains away on the tank. Give it a good final rinse. Then start again like nothing happened. Good luck!

That's what I'd do anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store