gravel and sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Shekoi

Trying to start up again
i've had sand, few problems with air being trapped so i moved to gravel. now in my new tank i want both. decide to have less sand so less chance of problems.

first has anybody done this? problems, fors and againsts??

how do i gravel vac the gravel and not suck up the sand??

i want sides and back gravel with plants in the the front and middle bare sand for the corys to sit and eat. it's about 15g

Any suggestions???

what if i put in rock/wood for example to try any keep the gravel from mixing with the sand. don't want to have just sand as can't mix it well enough when planted as i found out before. i just want one back corner planted now to cover filter. then the rest will be sand and rocks

cheers shekoi

Copper

Nearsighted master of all I survey
May 11, 2004
Arlington, TX
Visit site
The only setup I can think of that would be the easiest would be to use some rocks to make a low retaining wall to contain your gravel to the areas that you wish, then put the sand in front. Someone posted a picture of something similar on a thread about black sand...I'll try to find.

Archangel

Plecos, Plecos, everywhere
Apr 7, 2004
Oklahoma
www.homestarrunner.com
You could try getting a clear glass or plastic saucer and placing it in the middle of your tank. Pour gravel around it up to the edges and then fill the saucer w/ sand. I heard of someone doing this before specifically for cories.

qtaquaman

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
mixed media

The only problem I can see with air being trapped is if the substrate is not stired up every couple of weeks toxic pockets of gas my form but this is easily remedied by manual or syphon hose agigitation. As far as mixing te two go for at least 70% sand otherwise the sand will quickly sink to the bottom and the only place you'll see it is at the front of the glass. Small particles settle on the bottom where gravel will quickly occupy the entire surface, (assuming an even mix).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store