Green Terror and Oscar?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThorinMan

AC Members
Jan 15, 2003
San Diego California
Visit site
I have a tiger oscar that I have raised from about 2 inches to his currrent size of about 6 inches or so. I recently purchased a green terror that is about 5 inches or so. I have a 100 gallon tank with 2 empeor 400s and to 250w ebo jaggers for heaters. The oscar was in the tank when i released the Green Terrror for the first time. The oscar chased him around and bullied him a little but the oscar couldnt catch the green terror. I let this continue for about 5 hours no serious injuries. I out up a tempory divider after the oscar got beaten up the first night. He had a few bites out of his sides and a nipp on his fins. Now the oscar is healed and last night i took the divider out to see if they would get along. The first thing the Oscar is is flair and open his mouth when the green terror cam to his side. The green terror backed down the first few times. then the green Terror attacked and chomped down on his lip and wouldnt let go, so i hit the tank and broke it up and put up the divider again. My next plan of action is going to get like 3, 1-2 silver dollars and stick them in the tank and the oscar and the green terror in a bucket while i rearange the tank and then put them both in at the same time and see if that works. Any ideas on how to make then get along? Or is it just hopeless. i have heard that if they dont like each other you really cant make them. Heres a pic of the Green terror his is so beautifull i dont want to get rid of him any idea is welcome. Thanks.

green terror2.jpg

undertow

Factory sealed for your protection
Dec 4, 2002
Las Vegas,NV
Visit site
That is a beautiful GT!! When I had my albino tiger O in the same tank(90g) w/ my female GT, they did great for almost a year. But she (GT) began to lay eggs. This turned her into a Dahmerette and the oscar couldn't enjoy his tank anymore!! She is about 5in. while the oscar was at least 10.5!

The very first time she laid eggs, everything went smoothly for an hour or so... Then, on a routine trip past the cave they where in, the GT charged full-speed at the O! The result was pretty bad for the GT. Her entire face went into his mouth!! She had deep scarring on her mouth and gill plates. The odd thing about it is that everytime that she laid eggs after that and would charge at him, the O just opened his mouth REAl wide and slowly swam backwards. Although these antics where comical, I grew tired of my O not being able to swim freely. So my GT now resides in a 43g all by her lonesome! Want to get a male soon to breed w/ her!!

:)

Sorry that I don't really have any advice for ya, I just love telling that story to people that keep O's and GT's together...I would continue using the divider since you have a large tank...Best of luck!!!

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
a way to contro,m aggression a little bit more would be to rearrange the tank so that there is a lot of decorations like some tall plants or big rocks in the middle and then more on either side, then each fish cannot see each other directly unless they are close to the top of the water or maving throughout the tank. i do this at home with some of my tanks and it seems to work.

Zorgo

AC Members
Feb 25, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Green Terror and Oscar

I have a Green Terror as well that I had in with 2 Oscars (one Tiger and One Albino) all 3 are about 4in in length. I also have a 2in Tinfol Barb in the same tank. Before I got the GT my tiger Oscar was real mean. He would push around the other Oscar and the Tinfol. He kill a 4in Bala Shark the first day I had him. I bought the GT to Kinda even things out. The Problem was with in two days my GT Reduced my once mean Tiger Oscar to One scared fish. I awoke on the 2nd day to find my Tiger Oscar had been attacked during the night. His left fin was ripped, he had bite marks on him and his tail was ripped in several places. I removed the GT and put him in another tank by himself. since then My Tiger Oscar is getting better and is no longer mean, As for my GT he is liveing life for now by himself tell I get a bigger tank. I have done some reading on these Beautiful Fish (GT) and from what I have read they are vary Territorial so I am going to try a bigger tank if that doesn't work then my GT will live alone. I have a theory though about this my Tiger Oscar attacked the GT when I first put him in the tank and it was the Tiger Oscar that got Attacked by the GT not the Others. Same as what happen to your two Fish. My GT seems to get along with the Albino Oscar and the Tinfol Barb. Maybe that is because they did not attack him when he first came to be in the tank. Maybe the GT's are not a forgiveing fish. Maybe once they hate a certian one fish they will always hate that fish. I don't think the GT likes me for that fact either when I come to the front of the tank he hides I have never seen him eat. I have put feeder fish in with him and they disapper slowly so I know he is eating I just never have seen him eat. Anyway you are on the right track for keep your GT in with your Oscar I hope your plan works for you just the same as I hope mine works to.;)

ThorinMan

AC Members
Jan 15, 2003
San Diego California
Visit site
Man this is an old post. It been a little over a year. Since i first posted this. So I guess i will UPDATE you guys on the final out come. My oscar is in my 110 gal tank with 4 silver dollars which he like to push around but never hurts them and a small pleco. My oscar is about 9 inchs long now maybe a little more. My GT is in a sperate tank about 40 gal, he is about 6 inches now. My GT is really mean his tank is next to my computer chair and if i move i hear the snack of his head on the side of the glass. He will never eat when i am sitting in my chair becuase he sits at the side of the tank next to my chair untill i leave. I tried to put them together about a month ago now that my oscar wa much bigger than the GT. But his didnt work out too well. Since my oscar is much more aggressive now too. I put the GT in the 110 and as soon as he hit the water my Oscar was like what the he|| is that. My GT kinda swam around in my rocks for about a minute while my Oscar watched him from his side of the tank with his gills flaired then charged full speed at the GT. The GT just looked at him. The oscar body slapped the rocks and sent a big rock of its perch about 6 inchs from the bottom of the tank. The rosh then hit the bottom of the tank. Thankfully no cracks. So they are now going to be solitary fish for sure. Unless some one want to take them. I kinda want to just have one tank my 110 and have like 3 or 4 chichld in it. And this time get them all at the same time and same age.

TFo

AC Members
I'm curious... what is the temp in your tanks? My GT is a lot more aggressive at 80F than it is at 75F. The tank is 80F right now, and there is lots of flaring.

The Oscar will flare back at the GT, and the GT swims right inside the O's mouth up to her eyes, almost. The Oscar doesn't have much patience for the whole posturing thing and soon backs down. My Oscar is about 10" and the GT is about 6".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store