Plexi-glass needed to cover tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

watertownsalt

AC Members
Oct 1, 2004
Watertown, CT
I just picked up a power compact 2x65 watt 30 fixture that has a plexiglass lens covering the tubes.

Do I need to cover the tank with plexi to protect the fixture?

thanks

spankey

AC Members
Dec 21, 2001
Boyertown, PA
I just custom made a canopy for my 15 gallon tank. I mounted 5 PC fixtures in it and then went to home depot and bought a sheet of plexiglass.. Cut it to fit and that protects the bulbs and fixtures from salt mist...If your fixture has the plexi glass over the bulbs you are ok.. The fixture? Well that someone else with more electrical expereince to answer.... I think it all depends on how high you have the fixture over the tank.. My lights are only 4 inches off the water surface.. Thats why I went with a plexi glass cover over them....

Not sure if I helped you at all but hope I did a bit....

Spankey ;)

watertownsalt

AC Members
Oct 1, 2004
Watertown, CT
My fixture would ultimately sit about two or three inches off the surface so I think I would like to put an extra bit of protection between the light and the wet stuff.

How did you cut the plexglass that you bought at the Home Depot.

Does anyone know how much light is lost through multiple panes of Plexi?

DEdwards

AC Members
Nov 11, 2004
I bought a glass canopy for my 20g long, ~$20. I have the 2x65w satellites with the mounting legs. The glass canopy is hinged so that I can pull it forward and open the top to feed. (hard to explain but the satellite legs keep me from being able to open it fully) It does get a lot of saltcreep on the glass that has to be cleaned off every week. A little bit of hot water cleans it right off though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store