water conditions for convicts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

thechurro

AC Members
Nov 12, 2004
i have heard convicts are supposed to be quite hardy fish, but i would like to know the best spawning conditions. since i have bought mine they rarely come out from under their separate caves and when they do it is only to move to a different one. i had to take out my filter and pump for about 30 min. and by the time i came back both fish were more active than i have ever seen before. do they need calmer water or might that have been what they needed to loosen up? i'd like these thing to breed as soon as possible?

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
In my convict breeding tank I have:
water temperature: 79F
pH: 7.6
Lots of caves and hiding places
floating plants

I also use slightly cooler water when I do water changes to bring on breeding. They breed like crazy.

porfshguy

Registered Member
Dec 26, 2004
Naperville IL
I have had upwards of 100+ convicts and still to this day I have been trying to get rid of these things. They tend to breed in the worst of conditions. Most pet stores I have called refuse to even take in these fish. I will say though that a full grown male looks quite nice.

Bigdave44

Registered Member
Jan 1, 2005
Convict... the breeder in the bag

Most convicts are nones as breeders in the bag you brought them home in the bag... I have a 75 gal tank that had 4 fire mouths an 4 jack demise an a pair of concicts ... well in a matter of a week the convicts had sent the other fish packing to the top of the tank .... mom an pop ha a spawn of some 500
little one an they all lived .... :( so as long as the Ph is good an the water
quality is clear ...giving them some kind of ditter fish to push around ... Alot of slate on a slant for spawning site .. give them some time ...IT WILL HAPPEN... :cool: Bigdave44 :bowing:

finsup

AC Members
Sep 9, 2004
Stevensville, MI
anyone who has problems with an over abundance of convicts should just simply get and oscar lol. have a 55 with and oscar some kennyi and an african knife in it and i ususally just throw the babies in there once they are about 2" and they go nuts. they love them and its a safer method than buying feeders from the store because it keeps my fish more safe from disease

gonefishin

corn-eyed finless brown trout?
Sep 17, 2004
Lake Tahoe
The cons in my new 10 are already at it. Its kinda bad though, its on my desk at work. At a timeshare resort we get kids in here a lot. "what are they doing?" is a hard question to answer. "ummmmm there........playing?, y, y, y, y, yea thats it!!!"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store